Married And Flirting Chat

Go Back   Married And Flirting Chat > Blogs > TomIAm

Rate this Entry

Merry Christmas!

Posted 12-19-2017 at 01:17 PM by TomIAm
This year, more than ever, I've been amused by the degree to which this seemingly friendly and inoffensive seasonal greeting has morphed into a more aggressive social litmus test, particularly among restaurant wait-staff and retail associates (but also among strangers/the general public). What used to be a genuinely friendly "Thanks for your business...have a great holiday!" or even "have a great Christmas and Happy New Year!" has become for many people a very pointed and terse "Merry Christmas", followed by a lingering pause while my response is gauged. Will I flinch meekly or recoil at the bold audacity of the words? Will I defiantly offer a secular "Happy Holidays" in return? Or will I knowingly smile and nod and return an equally enthusiastic "Merry Christmas", signalling that I too am a soldier on the front lines of the War on Christmas?

We've become very silly people.
Total Comments 4

Comments

Old
I agree Tom ,in the UK it's more of an expectation of how much money am I getting .
This would make a great thread .
Oh merry Christmas btw.
Old
We are indeed a silly, antagonistic, quick-to-be-offended society. I'll say Merry Christmas with a smile and continue on with my day. I don't care what salutation is uttered in return, I'll just be glad if it's said with kindness. Merry Christmas Tom (insert big, genuine smile here).
Old

JOKE!! Hope you have a good one!
Over here not many say 'Happy Holidays' as it means you're wishing them a happy vacation.
Old
Merry Christmas TOM, I hope Santa's elves don't poke your eyes out or nothing..HO HO HO

Recent Blog Entries by TomIAm