Married And Flirting Chat

Go Back   Married And Flirting Chat > Blogs > katydid

Rate this Entry

The Christmas Ring

Posted 12-11-2010 at 07:30 PM by katydid
I went to my PO Box a year ago to pick up a package he had said should arrive. It was a box probably the size of a gift shirt box from Macy's. Brown paper package.

I drove to the nearby parking lot of a Walgreens. Buzzing with anticipation, my heart beating fast at the thought of my first Christmas present from him.

Inside were smaller packages wrapped in white paper. "Katy's White Christmas" the enclosed card had said. Each box numbered so I opened them in sequence.

First, because my hands got cold when I talked to him out on the patio of work each break there were a pair of beautiful gloves.

Second, to keep my face and throat from getting chilled, a woven scarf~black my favorite color.

Third, a bottle of perfume chosen solely for its name. Eternity.

The last I didn't notice until I was excitedly trying everything on. Opening and feeling and smelling everything.

I put one of the gloves on my hand and holding it out to admire it on my hand, the ring fell to my lap~ attached to the ring finger of the glove by a string.

It was so like him it didn't take me by surprise so much as just delight me. A sweet ring. White gold with a small flower of diamonds.

My husband and I were in the process of getting divorced and both of us knew it would be a sparse Christmas as far as gift giving was concerned. M. was still married and so the ring was an amazing present all around. It was so perfect. Like the love I felt for M. it fit me just right. I cried in the parking lot in the middle of the day with cars driving by.

So much contained in those tears. Joy, hope, sadness. The amazing realization that a man knew and loved me so well. After so many years, my life had come to this~ being loved by one who I loved back. The knowledge that if one thing in my whole world, in my whole life could be true~the one thing I would want to be true would be this. To wear this ring on my finger for all the days of my life.

A year passes. And it seems like nothing stays the same. Our lives no longer intertwined like the fibers of a tight
knit rope.

So many things have happened. And, the worst of all~ we are no longer together to weather it all. It had been months since I thought about that ring. That Christmas and then I saw it in its little black box.

I realized something then. There is a love. It stays in our heart. Decisions get made and we part. Or decisions get made for us and we part. But, where love really was~ there it stays. Past all the hurt, betrayal and anger. Past all the sadness. Love lays in waiting. Just waiting to be picked up once again and carried along the next level~further down the path. And, maybe so on it goes and not necessarily with just one pair of hands or heart, but with many. For as long as it lives.
Total Comments 8

Comments

Old
Very nicely written. Well done, Katy. :-)
Posted 12-12-2010 at 02:27 AM by BlueEyedMale40 BlueEyedMale40 is offline
Old
You're a great writer. Gave me chills.
Old
Very nice, Katy -- you have the heart of a poet. Thank you for sharing that with us. xoxo
Posted 12-14-2010 at 01:20 AM by Engineer-in-action Engineer-in-action is offline
Old
Wow Katy very insightful, in the end we all must go on! Thank you for posting that..
Old
Ms. Katy....The Lord has truly blessed you with an immeasurable gift of writing. I am sure those are not your only gifts. You are an amazing woman and I pray that you find the love you so richly deserve in life. We may have our political differences....but I want you to know that you are in my heart. I see the strength within you and I am certain that God has such wonderful things in store for your future! May the New Year bring you an abundance of happiness!
Old
Wow Katy......you really know how to project your feelings. Thank you for sharing!
Old
Spoken like the words were written in your heart....well done sweetheart
Old
Katy this is amazing. Thank you for sharing your wonderful words and heart

Recent Blog Entries by katydid