Married And Flirting Chat

Go Back   Married And Flirting Chat > Blogs > Runner guy

Rate this Entry

Boston

Posted 05-29-2015 at 09:43 PM by Runner guy
April 15, 2013 was an exciting day for me because a work friend and fellow runner was running in his first ever Boston Marathon which he qualified for 18 months earlier. His wife and 3 children travelled with him and did all the "weekend marathon" stuff like going to the Red Sox baseball game, buying the special Boston jacket that you can only purchase at the expo and taking in all the sites of Boston.

I was tracking him on the Marathon website at work. It updates every 5 km when they run over the mats so I knew his splits and his projected finish time. He was running right on pace so I knew he was having a great race. My wife texted me at 3pm and told me that there were two explosions at the finish line. I was in shock. I went to his boss and told him what I heard from my wife and what I had seen on the internet. The problem with Canadians travelling to the US is most people don't want to pay roaming charges on their phones so they don't use them and I didn't know his number so I had no idea if he was alright or not.

His boss finally heard from him that he was ok. He crossed the finish line 45 minutes prior to the explosions and had taken the subway with his family. to the hotel The news stations were covering the story all night. I couldn't stop watching it. It was about a week later that I travelled to Nashville and was concerned about going to the US thinking security would be on high alert because they hadn't released any information on who did this. I remember being in the airport getting ready to come home and CNN was playing the video of the 2 bombers and who they were. Again, I just wanted to get home. We all know what happened after that with the shoot outs and capture.

This changed me. I had to go to Boston last year and drive the entire course and see the memorial at the finish line. We had dinner that night on Boylston Street in a pub across from the finish line. I watched all the special presentations before last years marathon that looked into the lives of the people that were hurt from the bombings. I will never run the Boston Marathon but I would love to. I'm just not fast enough to qualify.

My work friend will try and qualify again for Boston in November and is determined to run in 2017. I wish him the best of luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (91.9 KB, 9 views)
Total Comments 5

Comments

Old
This is an amazing blog. Where were you during our contest?

Thank you for making that horrible event so personal and detailed.
And tell your friend that a member of the Married and Flirting site wishes him a sexy race.
Old
Good luck to your friend...and thanks for the read. Hope to see more of you in here .
Old
Hands down best thing I've read here..
Old
I think there are many people who would like to run the Boston marathon, as a token of their support to the families of those who died, those who were injured, in memory of those who died or perhaps only to show their support against terror. I hope your friend qualifies
Old
intake my hat off to anyone like this

Recent Blog Entries by Runner guy