Married And Flirting Chat

Go Back   Married And Flirting Chat > Blogs > Suffering Insomniac

Rate this Entry

Caught up in it ALL

Posted 12-05-2012 at 04:00 PM by IL*flirt31
Today I caught myself. I did it again. Though for my own self-defense itís been 12 months since it last happened to me and quite frankly I am only human. I confess that I have gotten caught up in the holiday hubbub and have stressed myself out. I have pressured myself to get it all done and then some. The list is long and plentiful. I have to admit that I was not the sole cause of this stress, I can also blame my IT department, the insurance company and my bank for their share of adding to my lack of holiday cheer. I typically do not write checks my ass canít cash or over budget my time. And when I look back over the past two weeks, I didnít do that either. It has just really been life as normal with the holidays thrown in for good measure and a trip planned to start Christmas day. What was I thinking!?!?!
So why then am I feeling like I need to drink an entire bottle of wine to chill myself out? I have lost complete perspective of what this time of year means to me. What is truly important to me? I lost my lack of prioritization. So I had a light bulb moment at my desk while eating a piece of cherry banana bread. Itís amazing what a piece of homemade baked bread can do for oneís inner peace. It forced me to think, is it really the Christmas card list that means so much to me or the extra crafts I thought would be fun to make with the girls? Is it decorating of the house from ceiling to floor or the clean fridge and stove top? Did I make all those cookies I wanted to make? Did I mop the floor enough times this week? Should I buy more stocking stuffers? The list can go on and on.
What I realized is none of it is truly important to me. I should care less about the dozens of cookies I didnít bake, or the shelves that didnít get dusted, or that I am not producing like Martha Stewart when it comes to tree decorations. What IS important is spending time with my family. Stop and enjoy the moments, enjoy your family. Listen to how they want to spend their time and do that and watch their smiling faces. They have it figured out. They havenít lost site of what is important. They want your time, not your money. They want to do things WITH you not have things bought for them. They just want to put up the Christmas tree, not have the whole house flocked! They want to make popcorn and hot cocoa and watch a holiday movie all snuggled up on the couch, not have the choice of 12 different kinds of cookies in the cupboard. I am taking a clue from my kids today and I am throwing my list out. We are going to wing it this year and fly by the seat of our pants and just have fun. First order of business tonight is going to pick out a tree together. Then have a blast decorating it. Tomorrow, I will ask them what fun there is to be had.
May hour holidays be peaceful, fun loving and safe.
Merry Christmas
Total Comments 8

Great and timely blog Flirt.

I've been stressing because my ex-husband was supposed to cover Christmas albeit a conservative one. But, because he is angry at me the children will suffer too. I don't have much extra money. We will each get one present. But we will decorate our tree on Christmas Eve like always and have our traditional prime rib dinner. The three of us will be together and if the kids ask their dad and he wishes to join us he will be welcome too.

This Christmas will be small. But it will be about us and our celebration of OUR family's survival this year.

Thanks for the reminder sweetheart.
Great blog and notice to all of us that get bogged down with the unimportant crap that has nothing to do with Christmas at all.
Its good you found perspective before you exhausted yourself .. I think its easy for us all to get sucked in ... you spend so much time trying to make everything perfect but the time the dust settles it seems its over and you missed it .... breathe it in .. good message and excellent blog
I love this. Thank you for the reminder that the joyous part of this season is spending time with family..not in the trappings (I think they call them that because they suck you in..right?)
Great blog & reminder, yes the small things pale in comparison to the love and time with our families....
Thanks for the timely reminder of this blog - I too am guilty of having this idea of needing to get everything perfect and done by the time, I know I miss out on the important things some times - here's to enjoying them now, in the moment, not thinking about what else needs to be done.
Thinks for the reminder. It's all becomes so commercial but it's really about the time spent with family and making memories that last cause gifts do not. Great blog perfect timing!
Very well put! Thanks for the reminder... We all need that jolt of good sense to make things really fun & not perfect.
Recent Blog Entries by IL*flirt31