Married And Flirting Chat

Go Back   Married And Flirting Chat > Blogs > bluegirl203

Rate this Entry

The Gift

Posted 06-02-2018 at 01:04 PM by bluegirl203
Yesterday was an eye-opening day.

Like many of you, I have a daughter in high school. We share concern for those affected by the recent outbreak of school violence. We wring our hands and our hearts break a little with each new headline. We pray please God, not here.

Today, my father, who is very close to my daughter wanted to surprise her. He left a small box and a note on her car, parked in our suburban neighborhood high school parking lot. A thoughtful, generous gesture intended to show her he was thinking of her.

My daughter approached her car and saw an unexpected package sitting on the hood. She panicked. She pulled friends together and fretted about what they should do. What might that box hold? Is it dangerous? Explosive? With shaking hands she opened it, and breathed a sigh of relief.

Never in my wildest dreams can I imagine having that as my first thought upon seeing a gift on my car. What should have been a touching and endearing moment for her caused panic and fear that a teenager should never know.

How do I help her brave a world with fears I can't even comprehend? What can we do to make the world better so our young people can truly enjoy all the gifts it offers?

My heart breaks for them.
Total Comments 2

Comments

Old
This is a hard world for our children to navigate. There seem to be more questions about what should be simple answers to keeping our world more livable and safe.

But, I hear your question as how to let our kids perceive the world as good instead of scary. I think your dad got it right. And, I think your daughter got a very precious gift indeed. This should be her expectation....that a special present or surprise is more likely to be just that than something scary.

Your dad is a smarter man than he may even know. Fill her lifes will these tokens of love that will slowly, but surely help erode fear. That's really the best hope this world has right now. Love.
Old
Your daughter fearing something "random" being left on her car whether its your driveway, a parking lot or her school is something I hope you don't talk your daughter out of being cautious over. While I am sure your father meant well its him that needs to be encouraged to make sure to be transparent and handing her the gift personally. The world is a scary place and Michigan has is one of the highest human trafficking markets.
Taking time to open the box, read a note gives someone more time to get to your daughter (and possibly her friends) before they make it to the safety of a locked car.
Updated 06-03-2018 at 09:19 PM by SunnyD

Recent Blog Entries by bluegirl203