Married And Flirting Chat

Go Back   Married And Flirting Chat > Married And Flirting Chat Forums > Junk Drawer

Junk Drawer If you have nothing constructive to say then this is the place to say it. Happy Birthdays would fit well here.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
D4k
I Love It Here

Thanked 1,153 Times in 890 Posts
D4k Is God Like D4k Is God Like D4k Is God Like D4k Is God Like D4k Is God Like D4k Is God Like D4k Is God Like D4k Is God Like D4k Is God Like D4k Is God Like D4k Is God Like
Default Science and Nature

Ok, searched and didn't find anything like this, so here goes..

Not sure how many of you are into science, nature, etc. (and other geeky stuff like me), but saw this video and thought it was pretty wild what these little bees can do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=0EZtXNIT5QQ#!
D4k is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D4k For This Useful Post:
Lips (06-02-2012), scoobertina (06-03-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
IL*flirt31
Flirting God

Thanked 4,524 Times in 3,253 Posts
IL*flirt31 Is God Like IL*flirt31 Is God Like IL*flirt31 Is God Like IL*flirt31 Is God Like IL*flirt31 Is God Like IL*flirt31 Is God Like IL*flirt31 Is God Like IL*flirt31 Is God Like IL*flirt31 Is God Like IL*flirt31 Is God Like IL*flirt31 Is God Like

Nature has always baffled me with its profound abilities, makes me curious and inquisitive about it. It is why I do what I do.

Thanks DK, a very cool vid.
IL*flirt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
Ivan
Flirting God

Thanked 6,563 Times in 4,012 Posts
Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like

Kind of interesting how they all jumped on the hornet the instant he latched on to a bee. Kind of like, "Hey look he's eating Joey ... let's roll!"
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ivan For This Useful Post:
Just A Girl (05-30-2012), mgirl2011 (06-02-2012), Savvyone. (05-30-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
Bailey~*
earning Valhalla

Thanked 8,977 Times in 5,068 Posts
Bailey~* Is God Like Bailey~* Is God Like Bailey~* Is God Like Bailey~* Is God Like Bailey~* Is God Like Bailey~* Is God Like Bailey~* Is God Like Bailey~* Is God Like Bailey~* Is God Like Bailey~* Is God Like Bailey~* Is God Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK44 View Post
Ok, searched and didn't find anything like this, so here goes..

Not sure how many of you are into science, nature, etc. (and other geeky stuff like me), but saw this video and thought it was pretty wild what these little bees can do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=0EZtXNIT5QQ#!
holy cats.. that's weird.. I thought they were just going to mass sting him...

When I was little and we took driving trips to a certain town.. we'd stop at a roadside place that had food and gas and trinkets.. and for some reason they had a huge beehive with and internal view window.. so you could stand inside the store, but be looking inside the hive.. it's one of my favorite things I remember about being little.. I thought it was so cool.

My favorite video that I've seen this year is still the Beavers IMAX movie.. I watched it on Netflix.

http://youtu.be/YDwRmBCANvE
Bailey~* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bailey~* For This Useful Post:
D4k (05-30-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
D4k
I Love It Here

Thanked 1,153 Times in 890 Posts
D4k Is God Like D4k Is God Like D4k Is God Like D4k Is God Like D4k Is God Like D4k Is God Like D4k Is God Like D4k Is God Like D4k Is God Like D4k Is God Like D4k Is God Like

Perhaps one of the most amazing nature videos I have ever scene. 8 Minutes long, but worth watching the whole thing. Amazing the interactions and battles that occur here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU8DDYz68kM
D4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:59 PM   #6
Savvyone.
Flirting God

Thanked 7,160 Times in 5,643 Posts
Savvyone. Is God Like Savvyone. Is God Like Savvyone. Is God Like Savvyone. Is God Like Savvyone. Is God Like Savvyone. Is God Like Savvyone. Is God Like Savvyone. Is God Like Savvyone. Is God Like Savvyone. Is God Like Savvyone. Is God Like

I watched it and was amazed at the ferociousness but at the same time mesmerized at how they stuck together for their buddies. Some of us could learn a few lessons.......lol
D4k (05-30-2012), Just A Girl (05-30-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
Bailey~*
earning Valhalla

Bailey~* Is God Like Bailey~* Is God Like Bailey~* Is God Like Bailey~* Is God Like Bailey~* Is God Like Bailey~* Is God Like Bailey~* Is God Like Bailey~* Is God Like Bailey~* Is God Like Bailey~* Is God Like Bailey~* Is God Like

I like all kinds of science and nature.. but my special soft spot is weather junkie..

This article is a couple of months old, but I thought it was cool when I read it on a NOAA related site-

In Time for Home Opener, NOAA’s National Weather Service Declares Coors Field StormReadyŽ

Just in time for their home opener of the 2012 season, fans of Colorado Rockies baseball can feel safer when severe thunderstorms threaten Coors Field now that the park has earned designation as a National Weather Service StormReadyŽ Supporter. Coors Field is the fourth major league baseball park to earn StormReady distinction.

To become StormReady, Rockies officials worked with local emergency management and NOAA’s National Weather Service to adopt a rigorous set of detection and warning criteria to provide protection from severe weather. Warning coordination meteorologist Robert Glancy will present a StormReady plaque and certificates to the Rockies at the April 13 game against the Arizona Diamondbacks.

The nationwide community preparedness program uses a grassroots approach to help communities and organizations develop plans to handle local severe weather and flooding threats. The program is voluntary and provides clear-cut advice from a partnership between local National Weather Service forecast offices, state and local emergency managers and individual organizations. StormReady started in 1999 with seven communities in the Tulsa, Okla. area. There are now nearly 1,900 StormReady sites across the country.*Storm ready baseball*fields include the Minnesota Twins' Target Field, the Cincinnati Reds’ Great American Ballpark, and the St. Louis Cardinals' Busch Stadium.

http://www.commerce.gov/blog/category/606

Last edited by Bailey~*; 05-31-2012 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Tex made me cry.
D4k (05-31-2012)
Old 06-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
artemis
irretrievable

Thanked 11,115 Times in 8,072 Posts
artemis Is God Like artemis Is God Like artemis Is God Like artemis Is God Like artemis Is God Like artemis Is God Like artemis Is God Like artemis Is God Like artemis Is God Like artemis Is God Like artemis Is God Like

http://www.marriedandflirtingchat.co...ad.php?t=23229

artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #9
Lips
Flirting God

Lips Is God Like Lips Is God Like Lips Is God Like Lips Is God Like Lips Is God Like Lips Is God Like Lips Is God Like Lips Is God Like Lips Is God Like Lips Is God Like Lips Is God Like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuhXKvxz4-U

Weird, True and Freaky : Chimpanzee Cannibalism
Lips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #10
Lips
Flirting God

Lips Is God Like Lips Is God Like Lips Is God Like Lips Is God Like Lips Is God Like Lips Is God Like Lips Is God Like Lips Is God Like Lips Is God Like Lips Is God Like Lips Is God Like

A strange relationship between dogs and bears.
Taken from the show "Jailed Polar Bear" on FirstScience.tv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE-Ny...eature=related
Lips is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lips For This Useful Post:
Bailey~* (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #11
Bailey~*
earning Valhalla

Lips (06-04-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #12
Bailey~*
earning Valhalla

Amazing Ant Photography
by Andrey Pavlov

Mr. Pavlov sets up the props, the ants gladly raise them. According to Mr Pavlov, "I used to work in theatre which was a big help when it came to making props, and I chose ants because I respect them and their way of life."

Mr. Pavlov says that having children changed the way he perceived life. "Ants care about their children and look after the elderly." says Mr. Pavlov.

Mr Pavlov arranges the scenes at an anthill just metres from his home in Moscow, Russia.

Andrey Pavlov spends hours creating scenes for the ants to*

Mr. Pavlov says his prop-making skills come from his background in theatre.

Mr. Pavlov said the trick is knowing how ants work, generally in a line and following each other. A little redirection and they'll go where you want.

more pictures, links, and comments available at-

http://inspirationgreen.com/andrey-pavlov.html
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bailey~* For This Useful Post:
artemis (06-11-2012), Chrysalis. (06-16-2012), Lips (06-08-2012)
Old 06-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #13
Bailey~*
earning Valhalla

Old 06-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #14
HunnyBeSoFly
Super Flirt

HunnyBeSoFly has a reputation beyond repute HunnyBeSoFly has a reputation beyond repute HunnyBeSoFly has a reputation beyond repute HunnyBeSoFly has a reputation beyond repute HunnyBeSoFly has a reputation beyond repute HunnyBeSoFly has a reputation beyond repute HunnyBeSoFly has a reputation beyond repute HunnyBeSoFly has a reputation beyond repute HunnyBeSoFly has a reputation beyond repute HunnyBeSoFly has a reputation beyond repute HunnyBeSoFly has a reputation beyond repute

Bailey- I love the Ant pics...very interesting.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #15
Bailey~*
earning Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunnyBeSoFly View Post
Bailey- I love the Ant pics...very interesting.
I know.. it is intersesting.. I stared at them a long time again on Friday thinking over how crazy they were.. they're sort of genius.. I tried to see if they were fake.. or if the ants were really dead and just glued on ... but they seem real. He's half brilliant, half endlessly patient I suppose.
Lips (06-14-2012)
Old 06-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #16
madmax
Donator

Thanked 6,266 Times in 4,899 Posts
madmax Is God Like madmax Is God Like madmax Is God Like madmax Is God Like madmax Is God Like madmax Is God Like madmax Is God Like madmax Is God Like madmax Is God Like madmax Is God Like madmax Is God Like

I spent quite a while on vacation watching ant moving nest, fascinating
Old 06-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #17
Bailey~*
earning Valhalla

This is a cool story about a guy named Brendo Grimshaw. He bought an island in the Seychelles in 1973. Since then he's completely restored its habitat to.. planted over 16,000 palms, trees and shrubs, made a home for 2,000 birds and 109 giant tortoises, and the island now holds more then 2/3 of the Seychelles native plants.

story
http://www.agrainofsandthefilm.com/Brendon_Grimshaw.html

film
http://vimeo.com/8041216#

Old 06-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #18
Bailey~*
earning Valhalla

I saw this story today.. and immediately thought 'omg.. I have to post that on MF when I get home'.. I actually checked the news thread to make sure no one had posted it there first

That awkward moment when something tries to eat you so you latch on to their private parts to save yourself...

Octopus hitches ride on dolphin's genitals

An octopus got the joyride of its life last week when it somehow became stuck on the belly of a bottlenose dolphin in the Ionian Sea. More specifically, the tentacled sea creature had a seat on the dolphin's genital slit.
Researchers with the Ionian Dolphin Project, part of the Tethys Research Institute, were observing a foursome of dolphins near the island of Kalamos off the west coast of Greece. Suddenly, one of the dolphins leapt out of the water with something strange dangling from its stomach. It wasn't until the researchers examined their photos of the leap that they realized the unidentified object was an octopus.
The tentacled hitchhiker was attached to the dolphin's genital slit. Photographer Joan Gonzalvo isn't sure what the octopus was up to, though he told New Scientist that perhaps the dolphin tried to eat the octopus and the animal lodged itself along the dolphin's genital slit to escape.

http://www.livescience.com/21028-octopus-attaches-dolphin-genitals.html
Old 06-19-2012, 10:30 PM   #19
artemis
irretrievable

Thanked 11,115 Times in 8,072 Posts
artemis Is God Like artemis Is God Like artemis Is God Like artemis Is God Like artemis Is God Like artemis Is God Like artemis Is God Like artemis Is God Like artemis Is God Like artemis Is God Like artemis Is God Like

^^^ was pretty cool...

artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:35 PM   #20
Bailey~*
earning Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
^^^ was pretty cool...
I like how they got to use the word 'dangling' in the article
artemis (06-19-2012)
Old 06-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #21
oldkuntry
Married And Flirting

oldkuntry is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a science and nature guy. In fact, I am a small scall (one hive) beekeeper myself! This should be my first honey harvest. I cheated a little bit and tasted it a few days ago. Best honey I ever tasted, and I don't think I am just being biased.
oldkuntry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oldkuntry For This Useful Post:
artemis (06-19-2012), Bailey~* (06-19-2012), billy383 (06-19-2012)
Old 06-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #22
Bailey~*
earning Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldkuntry View Post
I am a science and nature guy. In fact, I am a small scall (one hive) beekeeper myself! This should be my first honey harvest. I cheated a little bit and tasted it a few days ago. Best honey I ever tasted, and I don't think I am just being biased.
Super cool!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:58 PM   #23
oldkuntry
Married And Flirting

oldkuntry is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, and I haven't been stung once. Even when I accidentally knocked over the entire hive when trying to move it! (That was a little scary) I'm sure my day is coming.
oldkuntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:07 AM   #24
MishMash
Fire Starter

Thanked 7,373 Times in 4,590 Posts
MishMash Is God Like MishMash Is God Like MishMash Is God Like MishMash Is God Like MishMash Is God Like MishMash Is God Like MishMash Is God Like MishMash Is God Like MishMash Is God Like MishMash Is God Like MishMash Is God Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey~* View Post
I saw this story today.. and immediately thought 'omg.. I have to post that on MF when I get home'.. I actually checked the news thread to make sure no one had posted it there first

That awkward moment when something tries to eat you so you latch on to their private parts to save yourself...

Octopus hitches ride on dolphin's genitals

An octopus got the joyride of its life last week when it somehow became stuck on the belly of a bottlenose dolphin in the Ionian Sea. More specifically, the tentacled sea creature had a seat on the dolphin's genital slit.
Researchers with the Ionian Dolphin Project, part of the Tethys Research Institute, were observing a foursome of dolphins near the island of Kalamos off the west coast of Greece. Suddenly, one of the dolphins leapt out of the water with something strange dangling from its stomach. It wasn't until the researchers examined their photos of the leap that they realized the unidentified object was an octopus.
The tentacled hitchhiker was attached to the dolphin's genital slit. Photographer Joan Gonzalvo isn't sure what the octopus was up to, though he told New Scientist that perhaps the dolphin tried to eat the octopus and the animal lodged itself along the dolphin's genital slit to escape.

http://www.livescience.com/21028-octopus-attaches-dolphin-genitals.html

Bwahahahaa

What is it with Dolphin vaginas this month? I posted one on Caption This thread.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #25
Bailey~*
earning Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldkuntry View Post
Oh, and I haven't been stung once. Even when I accidentally knocked over the entire hive when trying to move it! (That was a little scary) I'm sure my day is coming.
I have a mild case of bee sting allergy.. not bad.. but get stung makes feel like of 'breathy' and sweaty.. kind of like being turned on.. but not for a good reason

So do you use smoke to calm them? Or.. Is it more simple? I've never read lots about it.