Married And Flirting Chat

Go Back   Married And Flirting Chat > Married And Flirting Chat Forums > Junk Drawer

Junk Drawer If you have nothing constructive to say then this is the place to say it. Happy Birthdays would fit well here.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
ZoydW
Душу к одной зажечь

Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,665 Posts
ZoydW Is God Like ZoydW Is God Like ZoydW Is God Like ZoydW Is God Like ZoydW Is God Like ZoydW Is God Like ZoydW Is God Like ZoydW Is God Like ZoydW Is God Like ZoydW Is God Like ZoydW Is God Like
Default Celebrate the Solstice

From the NY Daily News

Summer solstice customs involve sex, fire and ... herring?

Whether it is called the summer solstice, Midsummer or the Feast of St. John, the longest day of the year may also be the sexiest, as many traditions honor the fertility of both plants and people.

By Victoria Taylor / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Friday, June 21, 2013, 7:13 PM

#static{height:38px;} #static td{vertical-align:top !important;} #static td td{vertical-align:middle !important;} #static .fb-like iframe{width:450px !important;} #static:after{content:".";displayock;height:0;c lear:both;visibility:hidden;}

HASSE HOLMBERG/AP

People in Gräskö, Sweden, dance around a Maypole during a Midsummer gathering in 2011.

In some cultures, the odds of getting lucky at a summer solstice celebration are stacked in your favor.
The Northern Hemisphere's longest day of the year marks a time when the earth is fertile and traditions often honor the fertility of humankind as well.
As CNN put it, the summer solstice is "all about sex." In Sweden, Midsummer festivities include dancing around a Maypole -- which some consider a phallic symbol -- singing about frogs, wearing floral crowns, eating various kinds of pickled herring and drinking vodka.
JUSTIN TALLIS/AFP/Getty Images

Spiritualists, neo-druids, pagans and travelers party until dawn to welcome the summer solstice at Stonehenge.

Jan-Öjvind Swahn, a Swedish ethnologist, told CNN that Midsummer triggers something of a baby boom and many Swedish children are born nine months after the celebration.
PHOTOS: YOGIS CELEBRATE SUMMER SOLSTICE 2013 IN TIMES SQUARE
Young women can try to identify their future partners by following another Swedish tradition. A woman is supposed to gather seven different kinds of flowers from seven different gardens and place them under her pillow so that she dreams about her future spouse.
DYLAN MARTINEZ/REUTERS

Revelers kiss as they celebrate the summer solstice at the Stonehenge, where thousands gathered to to mark the longest day of the year.

Throughout Europe, Midsummer became St. John's Day in honor of Saint John the Baptist, but some pagan customs are still carried out. In parts of Greece, unmarried women participate in a ritual called Klidonas. They place a personal belonging in a pot and leave that under a fig tree overnight. The magic of the day is supposed to give the object prophetic powers, and the village women all gather the next day to remove the objects and recite sometimes raunchy rhymes that are meant to predict the romantic future of the owner.
Later in the day, the sexes mingle, jump over bonfires and socialize with the other young people in the village.
Fires are a common theme across solstice celebrations. In Estonia, people also mark St. John's Day (Jaanipäev) and Midsummer Eve by lighting and jumping over bonfires. Folklore encourages lovers to search for a fern with a flower that is said to only bloom on that night, and everyone sings and dances.
LUCAS JACKSON/REUTERS

Yogis in New York participate in the "Solstice in Times Square" event.

RELATED: RODNEY YEE HOSTS FREE YOGA EVENT IN NYC
Kupala Night, the eve of Ivan Kupala Day, is a romantic holiday celebrated in Eastern Europe that falls on the solstice. Some couples test the strength of their love by jumping over a bonfire while holding hands.
Another tradition involves single ladies floating wreaths made of flowers down the river, which bachelors would then try to catch.
Lefteris Pitarakis/AP

Cloudy skies prevented the group partying at Stonehenge from seeing the sun rise, but that didn’t stop them from dancing and celebrating.

"It was once believed that Kupala Night was a time for people to fall in love, and that those celebrating it would be happy and prosperous throughout the year," Agnieszka Bigaj from the Polish tourist board told CNN.
One of the biggest and most well-known solstice celebrations is held at Stonehenge. Pagans and non-pagans travel to the mysterious site to party all night and watch the sun rise. A crowd of more than 20,000 people gathered there.
Meanwhile, in New York, thousands of yogis took to Time Square to do sun salutations as part of the "Mind of Madness" event.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...#ixzz2WttmPAst
ZoydW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
DomesticDiva
~*Concentrated Awesome*~

Thanked 17,145 Times in 11,412 Posts
DomesticDiva Is God Like DomesticDiva Is God Like DomesticDiva Is God Like DomesticDiva Is God Like DomesticDiva Is God Like DomesticDiva Is God Like DomesticDiva Is God Like DomesticDiva Is God Like DomesticDiva Is God Like DomesticDiva Is God Like DomesticDiva Is God Like

I'm not getting lucky today...Is that a bad omen that summers gonna blow

~If you smash into something good, you should hold on until it's time to let go.~
DomesticDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
mschevious1
Perfectly Imperfect

Thanked 5,146 Times in 3,636 Posts
mschevious1 Is God Like mschevious1 Is God Like mschevious1 Is God Like mschevious1 Is God Like mschevious1 Is God Like mschevious1 Is God Like mschevious1 Is God Like mschevious1 Is God Like mschevious1 Is God Like mschevious1 Is God Like mschevious1 Is God Like

Missed it....again!
Old 06-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
justin784
super flirt
I Love It Here

justin784 Is God Like justin784 Is God Like justin784 Is God Like justin784 Is God Like justin784 Is God Like justin784 Is God Like justin784 Is God Like justin784 Is God Like justin784 Is God Like justin784 Is God Like justin784 Is God Like

I gotta remember this next year...
justin784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:46 PM   #5
HIboy
Vagabond Gypsy

Thanked 1,007 Times in 825 Posts
HIboy Is God Like HIboy Is God Like HIboy Is God Like HIboy Is God Like HIboy Is God Like HIboy Is God Like HIboy Is God Like HIboy Is God Like HIboy Is God Like HIboy Is God Like HIboy Is God Like

I need my driving thong and some sparklers
Old 06-11-2019, 09:00 PM   #6
hikergeek
M and F archaeologist

hikergeek Is God Like hikergeek Is God Like hikergeek Is God Like hikergeek Is God Like hikergeek Is God Like hikergeek Is God Like hikergeek Is God Like hikergeek Is God Like hikergeek Is God Like hikergeek Is God Like hikergeek Is God Like

******bump******

It’s coming soon! Prepare now for those fertility celebrations!
"...And then all the laws of mind and matter that restrain him. Then the planets about him... and at last, out across immensity to the stars. And when he has conquered all the deeps of Space, and all the mysteries of Time, still he will be beginning."
hikergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:40 AM   #7
scarlet*rose
Limited edition...

Thanked 2,649 Times in 2,204 Posts
scarlet*rose Is God Like scarlet*rose Is God Like scarlet*rose Is God Like scarlet*rose Is God Like scarlet*rose Is God Like scarlet*rose Is God Like scarlet*rose Is God Like scarlet*rose Is God Like scarlet*rose Is God Like scarlet*rose Is God Like scarlet*rose Is God Like

Done Stonehenge but not at solstice.
On the bucket list
Old 06-12-2019, 11:46 AM   #8
Iceburn
Thread Terrorist

Thanked 26,049 Times in 20,628 Posts
Iceburn Is God Like Iceburn Is God Like Iceburn Is God Like Iceburn Is God Like Iceburn Is God Like Iceburn Is God Like Iceburn Is God Like Iceburn Is God Like Iceburn Is God Like Iceburn Is God Like Iceburn Is God Like

Done the dancing naked around stones and sacrificing the goat thing..but that was just an ordinary Friday night out with the boys?
Old 06-22-2019, 10:27 PM   #9
hikergeek
M and F archaeologist

hikergeek Is God Like hikergeek Is God Like hikergeek Is God Like hikergeek Is God Like hikergeek Is God Like hikergeek Is God Like hikergeek Is God Like hikergeek Is God Like hikergeek Is God Like hikergeek Is God Like hikergeek Is God Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet*rose View Post
Done Stonehenge but not at solstice.
On the bucket list
I heard on TV there was 10,000 people there! As much as I think it would be a cool place to be that’s too many people for me to enjoy the experience.
"...And then all the laws of mind and matter that restrain him. Then the planets about him... and at last, out across immensity to the stars. And when he has conquered all the deeps of Space, and all the mysteries of Time, still he will be beginning."
Old 06-22-2019, 10:54 PM   #10
Ivan
Flirting God

Thanked 6,679 Times in 4,094 Posts
Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikergeek View Post
I heard on TV there was 10,000 people there! As much as I think it would be a cool place to be that’s too many people for me to enjoy the experience.
It's definitely cool to explore if you get the chance. As you can see from this picture I snapped, it's out in a field in the middle of nowhere.

Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ivan For This Useful Post:
Alpheius (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 08:31 PM   #11
hikergeek
M and F archaeologist

What hasn’t been mentioned is that the summer solstice is Hike Naked Day! Seriously, it is. I’ve never participated or seen it done. Considering the tick and other insect issues not sure how practical it would be for more than a few minutes.