Married And Flirting Chat

Go Back   Married And Flirting Chat > Married And Flirting Chat Forums > Everyday Life For Married Couples

Everyday Life For Married Couples A forum for couples to chat about your everyday married life. This would be a good place for women and men to get to know eachother.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
Bedrock
Super Flirt

Bedrock has a reputation beyond repute Bedrock has a reputation beyond repute Bedrock has a reputation beyond repute Bedrock has a reputation beyond repute Bedrock has a reputation beyond repute Bedrock has a reputation beyond repute Bedrock has a reputation beyond repute Bedrock has a reputation beyond repute Bedrock has a reputation beyond repute Bedrock has a reputation beyond repute Bedrock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Quote of the day

Sometimes a phrase or passage jumps off the page and merits further thought or discussion. Figured I'd post one here and see if it generates any interest... Sorry if it's too serious for this forum!

"I have frequently seen people become neurotic when they content themselves with inadequate or wrong answers to the questions of life. They seek position, marriage, reputation, outward success or money, and remain unhappy and neurotic even when they have attained what they are seeking. Such people are usually confined within too narrow a spiritual horizon. Their life has not sufficient content, sufficient meaning. If they are enabled to develop into more spacious personalities, the neurosis generally disappears. For that reason the idea of development was always of the highest importance for me." -Carl Jung

I couldn't agree more with this observation. I have found it to be true in my own life. I would only add that by "too narrow a spiritual horizon" Jung is not arguing for some kind of defined religious faith. In fact, I think he would put religion in the list with marriage, reputation, etc. I think he's talking about a much broader spirituality, one in which we find our individual calling for this world, the reason for our existence.
Bedrock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bedrock For This Useful Post:
Brink (10-22-2008), Luna (10-22-2008)
Old 10-21-2008, 11:21 PM   #2
Icarus
Putting the Stud in Study

Icarus Is God Like Icarus Is God Like Icarus Is God Like Icarus Is God Like Icarus Is God Like Icarus Is God Like Icarus Is God Like Icarus Is God Like Icarus Is God Like Icarus Is God Like Icarus Is God Like

I appreciate the quote and would love to get philosophical, but my mind is mush and I'm striving towards my second glass of wine. I think it is a rare few that truly find their calling. There are many impediments. The material and vain trappings of the world. Pressures from those that have succumbed to those trappings, in particular, family. But the biggest impediment is the portion of your life that you've invested in some other pursuit. It's hard to throw away that investment to pursue another calling that may or may not be the "one". You won't know your calling until you've invested a great deal in pursuing it. It's all a big gamble. At some point, you either find your calling, or cut your losses and be content with the one you've chosen.

It's not a beer belly, it's a gas tank for a sex machine.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icarus For This Useful Post:
Luna (10-22-2008)
Old 10-22-2008, 01:11 AM   #3
michigan_lady
Roll With Me

michigan_lady has a reputation beyond repute michigan_lady has a reputation beyond repute michigan_lady has a reputation beyond repute michigan_lady has a reputation beyond repute michigan_lady has a reputation beyond repute michigan_lady has a reputation beyond repute michigan_lady has a reputation beyond repute michigan_lady has a reputation beyond repute michigan_lady has a reputation beyond repute michigan_lady has a reputation beyond repute michigan_lady has a reputation beyond repute

That is an interesting quote and, like Icarus, I do appreciate it. I am going to have to re-read it when I wake up in the morning and am not operating in such a fog.

That's where I'll be waiting. -(Tinkerbell)
michigan_lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:07 AM   #4
Constance
Life is short, live it!

Constance has disabled reputation

I really look at this topic in a different way. I don't usually get involved with politic and region, because everyone has the right to their own beliefs. I have my own opinion, I believe we as a society have become so obsessed with living a certain type o life that includes material things and what we believe is the average family life style.
As I have seen here and at work, to many people get married to the wrong person for the right reasons. I believe they have children and do not want to hurt their children. After so many years of nothing, no communication and no physical attention.
I believe everyone has been given there special talents and can use these to glorify the Lord in some way. We all know what we are talented with, we just don't always know how that ties into Gods plan. I believe that if you seek, you will find and if you ask, you will be given, knock and the door will be open for you. I also believe that you give your heartaches to the Lord and he will handle them. It may not be the way I would do it, but it would be what is best for me.
I believe no matter where we are in life and what we have done, the Lord loves us and will be there if we only ask. Dwelling on the past, can only give you heartache. I think that if we take what we have today and try to do our bests to make things work, they may and they may not, but you are only human. I think if you walk away, make sure you walk away feeling you have done everything you can to make it work. If it does then you have truly the best prize and if it does not, then you can feel that you have done your best.
Happiness is something we have control of in our own lives. We choose what we want and what we do. Sometimes it takes time to know what we really want in life and nothing that deals with emotions are easy, but it is the decisions that we make that ultimately affect our happiness.

Last edited by Constance; 10-22-2008 at 10:57 AM.
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:16 AM   #5
Fwd40s
Flirting With Disaster

Thanked 3,552 Times in 3,054 Posts
Fwd40s Is God Like Fwd40s Is God Like Fwd40s Is God Like Fwd40s Is God Like Fwd40s Is God Like Fwd40s Is God Like Fwd40s Is God Like Fwd40s Is God Like Fwd40s Is God Like Fwd40s Is God Like Fwd40s Is God Like

Marriage is like a bank account. You put it in, you take it out, you lose interest.
Irwin Corey
Old 10-22-2008, 09:20 AM   #6
jmsmith12345
vaginas are weird
I Love It Here

Thanked 3,509 Times in 2,131 Posts
jmsmith12345 Is God Like jmsmith12345 Is God Like jmsmith12345 Is God Like jmsmith12345 Is God Like jmsmith12345 Is God Like jmsmith12345 Is God Like jmsmith12345 Is God Like jmsmith12345 Is God Like jmsmith12345 Is God Like jmsmith12345 Is God Like jmsmith12345 Is God Like

“My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch.”
- Jack Nicholson
jmsmith12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:21 AM   #7
jmsmith12345
vaginas are weird
I Love It Here

jmsmith12345 Is God Like jmsmith12345 Is God Like jmsmith12345 Is God Like jmsmith12345 Is God Like jmsmith12345 Is God Like jmsmith12345 Is God Like jmsmith12345 Is God Like jmsmith12345 Is God Like jmsmith12345 Is God Like jmsmith12345 Is God Like jmsmith12345 Is God Like

“Clinton lied. A man might forget where he parks or where he lives, but he never forgets oral sex, no matter how bad it is.”
- Barbara Bush
Old 10-22-2008, 09:21 AM   #8
Tiglet
Missed Y'all

Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,444 Posts
Tiglet Is God Like Tiglet Is God Like Tiglet Is God Like Tiglet Is God Like Tiglet Is God Like Tiglet Is God Like Tiglet Is God Like Tiglet Is God Like Tiglet Is God Like Tiglet Is God Like Tiglet Is God Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsmith12345 View Post
- Jack Nicholson
Love that quote!
Old 10-22-2008, 09:26 AM   #9
jmsmith12345
vaginas are weird
I Love It Here

For women the best aphrodisiacs are words. The G-spot is in the ears. He who looks for it below there is wasting his time.
~Isabel Allende
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmsmith12345 For This Useful Post:
Luna (10-22-2008), private beaches (10-23-2008)
Old 10-22-2008, 10:14 AM   #10
92115guy
I chose "Dare"

92115guy Is God Like 92115guy Is God Like 92115guy Is God Like 92115guy Is God Like 92115guy Is God Like 92115guy Is God Like 92115guy Is God Like 92115guy Is God Like 92115guy Is God Like 92115guy Is God Like 92115guy Is God Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedrock View Post
"I have frequently seen people become neurotic when they content themselves with inadequate or wrong answers to the questions of life. They seek position, marriage, reputation, outward success or money, and remain unhappy and neurotic even when they have attained what they are seeking. Such people are usually confined within too narrow a spiritual horizon. Their life has not sufficient content, sufficient meaning. If they are enabled to develop into more spacious personalities, the neurosis generally disappears. For that reason the idea of development was always of the highest importance for me." -Carl Jung

I couldn't agree more with this observation. I have found it to be true in my own life. I would only add that by "too narrow a spiritual horizon" Jung is not arguing for some kind of defined religious faith. In fact, I think he would put religion in the list with marriage, reputation, etc. I think he's talking about a much broader spirituality, one in which we find our individual calling for this world, the reason for our existence.
I don't think that we can assume to assign meaning to someone else's life. We all have different drivers and we all have different needs. If you were to put this in context of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs I would say that there are probably plenty of people who don't need anything more than the base of the pyramid in order to be happy. I don't think that everyone has the need or the ability to develop "more spacious personalities" or acheive self-awareness.

It is my opinion that we should also temper Jung's work just a bit as he saw us (people in general) as relying too much on science and logic and not enough on spirituality (however we define that) and the unconsicous.

What a great topic...thanks for bringing this up.

james
92115guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 92115guy For This Useful Post:
Brink (10-22-2008)
Old 10-22-2008, 10:23 AM   #11
FeIsTy FaV
Flirting Guest
I Love It Here

Thanked 3,874 Times in 2,948 Posts
FeIsTy FaV Is God Like FeIsTy FaV Is God Like FeIsTy FaV Is God Like FeIsTy FaV Is God Like FeIsTy FaV Is God Like FeIsTy FaV Is God Like FeIsTy FaV Is God Like FeIsTy FaV Is God Like FeIsTy FaV Is God Like FeIsTy FaV Is God Like FeIsTy FaV Is God Like

Wow... and to think I was gonna quote a dumbass in my office! You all are way too deep for me!
FeIsTy FaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:47 AM   #12
Luna
loonie to my friends!

Luna Is God Like Luna Is God Like Luna Is God Like Luna Is God Like Luna Is God Like Luna Is God Like Luna Is God Like Luna Is God Like Luna Is God Like Luna Is God Like Luna Is God Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFavMistake^f View Post
Wow... and to think I was gonna quote a dumbass in my office! You all are way too deep for me!
We need all levels of quotes, Fav!! Let's hear about the dumb ass.. LOL
Old 10-22-2008, 10:49 AM   #13
Nicodemus2430
Flirting God

Nicodemus2430 has a reputation beyond repute Nicodemus2430 has a reputation beyond repute Nicodemus2430 has a reputation beyond repute Nicodemus2430 has a reputation beyond repute Nicodemus2430 has a reputation beyond repute Nicodemus2430 has a reputation beyond repute Nicodemus2430 has a reputation beyond repute Nicodemus2430 has a reputation beyond repute Nicodemus2430 has a reputation beyond repute Nicodemus2430 has a reputation beyond repute Nicodemus2430 has a reputation beyond repute

"In 3 words I can sum up everything I've learned about life.......it goes on" - Robert Frost
Nicodemus2430 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nicodemus2430 For This Useful Post:
private beaches (10-23-2008)
Old 10-22-2008, 11:01 AM   #14
Bedrock
Super Flirt

Bedrock has a reputation beyond repute Bedrock has a reputation beyond repute Bedrock has a reputation beyond repute Bedrock has a reputation beyond repute Bedrock has a reputation beyond repute Bedrock has a reputation beyond repute Bedrock has a reputation beyond repute Bedrock has a reputation beyond repute Bedrock has a reputation beyond repute Bedrock has a reputation beyond repute Bedrock has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
- Jack Nicholson

Great quote.

Here's another:

"I like to get kissed before I get fucked." -Danny Archer (DiCaprio) in Blood Diamond
Old 10-22-2008, 11:14 AM   #15
airborne soldier
Master of War

airborne soldier Is God Like airborne soldier Is God Like airborne soldier Is God Like airborne soldier Is God Like airborne soldier Is God Like airborne soldier Is God Like airborne soldier Is God Like airborne soldier Is God Like airborne soldier Is God Like airborne soldier Is God Like airborne soldier Is God Like

"Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time, for that the stuff life is made of."

Ben Franklin
airborne soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to airborne soldier For This Useful Post:
BlondieS (10-23-2008)
Old 10-22-2008, 11:28 AM   #16
jmsmith12345
vaginas are weird
I Love It Here

I thank God I was raised Catholic, so sex will always be dirty.
~John Waters
Old 10-22-2008, 11:29 AM   #17
Brink
"Man of few words"

Thanked 1,846 Times in 1,107 Posts
Brink Is God Like Brink Is God Like Brink Is God Like Brink Is God Like Brink Is God Like Brink Is God Like Brink Is God Like Brink Is God Like Brink Is God Like Brink Is God Like Brink Is God Like

I believe it’s Pascal who said one should not counter the serious questions, which draw attention to the meaning of life, with the futile distractions we have these days – modern, materialistic, celebristic, go-getting, culture. Ironically, a culture that likes to dictate which messages we should follow, whether they’re social, legal, religious or philosophical!

Sometimes, I find that philosophy is only adding to the expectations, and the doubts, even when it makes sense. I have frequently seen people become neurotic when they read Carl Jung! I am glad I'm not his child, or any visionary's child! Well intentioned or not, with so many pre-determined ideas set up for life, I'd be living a cluttered world, where more mishaps were deemed possible, not removed.

Who can place a value on ideals, suggest what we should ignore at our peril, when it’s the idle meaningless throw-away crap that might make some people happy? For me, what matters is you’re tickled into exploring what you fancy the most…before it’s too late, and you can’t. Sure, it would be nice to think that all people consider the consequences they might impose before they act, and that depth and meaning succeeds over superficiality, but, as James suggests, we're not all able to think clearly, all of the time.

The curious thing is, in this life, we are all linked to the same word, a common denominator we employ in the same way, and for the same reasons, yet it has every right to find it’s own individual meaning. For me, it’s not so important to discover the ever-changing meaning of life, but the enduring meaning of “I”. Now, if that’s not a quote already…
Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brink For This Useful Post:
92115guy (10-22-2008), Constance (10-22-2008)
Old 10-22-2008, 11:37 AM   #18
Bedrock
Super Flirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink View Post
I believe it’s Pascal who said one should not counter the serious questions, which draw attention to the meaning of life, with the futile distractions we have these days – modern, materialistic, celebristic, go-getting, culture. Ironically, a culture that likes to dictate which messages we should follow, whether they’re social, legal, religious or philosophical!

Sometimes, I find that philosophy is only adding to the expectations, and the doubts, even when it makes sense. I have frequently seen people become neurotic when they read Carl Jung! I am glad I'm not his child, or any visionary's child! Well intentioned or not, with so many pre-determined ideas set up for life, I'd be living a cluttered world, where more mishaps were deemed possible, not removed.

Who can place a value on ideals, suggest what we should ignore at our peril, when it’s the idle meaningless throw-away crap that might make some people happy? For me, what matters is you’re tickled into exploring what you fancy the most…before it’s too late, and you can’t. Sure, it would be nice to think that all people consider the consequences they might impose before they act, and that depth and meaning succeeds over superficiality, but, as James suggests, we're not all able to think clearly, all of the time.

The curious thing is, in this life, we are all linked to the same word, a common denominator we employ in the same way, and for the same reasons, yet it has every right to find it’s own individual meaning. For me, it’s not so important to discover the ever-changing meaning of life, but the enduring meaning of “I”. Now, if that’s not a quote already…
That was more than a few words!

I think Jung would agree with most of what you wrote in the last two paragraphs. Explore "what you fancy most" and "the enduring meaning of 'I'" are just a different way of saying discover your Self.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:15 PM   #19
Brink
"Man of few words"

Thanked 1,846 Times in 1,107 Posts
Brink Is God Like Brink Is God Like Brink Is God Like Brink Is God Like Brink Is God Like Brink Is God Like Brink Is God Like Brink Is God Like Brink Is God Like Brink Is God Like Brink Is God Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedrock View Post
That was more than a few words!

I think Jung would agree with most of what you wrote in the last two paragraphs. Explore "what you fancy most" and "the enduring meaning of 'I'" are just a different way of saying discover your Self.
Well, I think he'd approve of anybody's profound inner-thoughts regarding themselves, as he's bound by his own theory of the importance of self-discovery and development!

How exactly he balances that with somebody's illogical, dangerous or unhelpful thoughts about themselves, I'm not sure! Is it all good as long as it's deep, meaningful, and leading to the spiritual horizon, hmmmm?
Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:58 PM   #20
coug511
Flirting God

coug511 Is God Like coug511 Is God Like coug511 Is God Like coug511 Is God Like coug511 Is God Like coug511 Is God Like coug511 Is God Like coug511 Is God Like coug511 Is God Like coug511 Is God Like coug511 Is God Like

Don't wish it was, amke sure you did.
coug511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:14 PM   #21
jmsmith12345
vaginas are weird
I Love It Here

Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid that it will never begin.
-- Grace Hansen
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmsmith12345 For This Useful Post:
MCat (10-23-2008), tallguy32 (10-27-2008)
Old 10-23-2008, 03:15 PM   #22
jmsmith12345
vaginas are weird
I Love It Here

Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
-- Groucho Marx
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmsmith12345 For This Useful Post:
BlondieS (10-23-2008), private beaches (10-23-2008), tallguy32 (10-27-2008)
Old 10-23-2008, 03:16 PM   #23
jmsmith12345
vaginas are weird
I Love It Here

Kind words do not cost much. They never blister the tongue or lips. They make other people good-natured. They also produce their own image on men's souls, and a beautiful image it is.
-- Blaise Pascal
The Following User Says Thank You to jmsmith12345 For This Useful Post:
BlondieS (10-23-2008)
Old 10-23-2008, 05:37 PM   #24
Bedrock
Super Flirt

Quote:
Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
-- Groucho Marx
Was Marx a trader????
Old 10-23-2008, 05:39 PM   #25
Bedrock
Super Flirt

"Life must be remembered backward, but lived forward." -Soren Kierkegaard