Married And Flirting Chat

Go Back   Married And Flirting Chat > Married And Flirting Chat Forums > Jokes, Stories & Games

Jokes, Stories & Games Have a good joke to tell or a story to share. How about a game to play, Post it here and share it with us.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:41 PM   #1
TomIAm
Impeachment Time

Thanked 17,422 Times in 10,152 Posts
TomIAm Is God Like TomIAm Is God Like TomIAm Is God Like TomIAm Is God Like TomIAm Is God Like TomIAm Is God Like TomIAm Is God Like TomIAm Is God Like TomIAm Is God Like TomIAm Is God Like TomIAm Is God Like
Default Logic Puzzle

I'll post the solution sometime in near future...for those of you who like to exercise your brains. To clarify one point that isn't worded all that clearly...everyday, the caretaker asks YOU (i.e. the reader) first and then asks your companion in the other room. The sequence is the same every day...you get asked, then if you pass, your companion gets asked.

You’ve been caught snooping around a spooky graveyard with your best friend. The caretaker, a bored old man fond of riddles (and not so fond of trespassers), imprisons each of you in a different room inside the storage shed, and, taking your phones, says, “Only your mind can set you free.” To you, he gestures toward a barred window. Through it, you can see 12 statues. Out of your friend’s window, which overlooks the opposite side of the graveyard, she can see eight. Neither of you know the other’s count.
The caretaker tells you each, individually, that together you can see either 18 or 20 statues. Unfortunately, there’s no way to tell your friend how many you can spot. The only way for you both to escape is for one of you to give the total number of visible statues. Get it wrong, and neither of you ever leave. The caretaker asks you each one at a time, once a day, and you can choose to answer or to pass. Both of you know that you’re always asked first.* If you both pass on a given day, the question—are there 18 or 20?—is posed to each of you again the next day, and the next, and so on, until you get it right or wrong. The caretaker cackles, “If you need me, I’ll be out preparing your graves.”
How do you escape?
Alpheius (06-21-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 04:38 PM   #2
hijiller
One foot on land, one on

Thanked 13,096 Times in 8,959 Posts
hijiller Is God Like hijiller Is God Like hijiller Is God Like hijiller Is God Like hijiller Is God Like hijiller Is God Like hijiller Is God Like hijiller Is God Like hijiller Is God Like hijiller Is God Like hijiller Is God Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomIAm View Post
I'll post the solution sometime in near future...for those of you who like to exercise your brains. To clarify one point that isn't worded all that clearly...everyday, the caretaker asks YOU (i.e. the reader) first and then asks your companion in the other room. The sequence is the same every day...you get asked, then if you pass, your companion gets asked.

You’ve been caught snooping around a spooky graveyard with your best friend. The caretaker, a bored old man fond of riddles (and not so fond of trespassers), imprisons each of you in a different room inside the storage shed, and, taking your phones, says, “Only your mind can set you free.” To you, he gestures toward a barred window. Through it, you can see 12 statues. Out of your friend’s window, which overlooks the opposite side of the graveyard, she can see eight. Neither of you know the other’s count.
The caretaker tells you each, individually, that together you can see either 18 or 20 statues. Unfortunately, there’s no way to tell your friend how many you can spot. The only way for you both to escape is for one of you to give the total number of visible statues. Get it wrong, and neither of you ever leave. The caretaker asks you each one at a time, once a day, and you can choose to answer or to pass. Both of you know that you’re always asked first.* If you both pass on a given day, the question—are there 18 or 20?—is posed to each of you again the next day, and the next, and so on, until you get it right or wrong. The caretaker cackles, “If you need me, I’ll be out preparing your graves.”
How do you escape?
Ok lets make this fun. A new poster for each step. The question is, do the statues you both can see total 18 or 20.

I count my trees. I see 12. My hot partner, therefore can see 8 to total 20 or 6 to total 18. I don't know which.
I pass.

Ready Player Two.

Last edited by hijiller; 06-22-2019 at 09:56 AM.
hijiller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hijiller For This Useful Post:
Alpheius (06-21-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 07:51 PM   #3
TomIAm
Impeachment Time

TomIAm Is God Like TomIAm Is God Like TomIAm Is God Like TomIAm Is God Like TomIAm Is God Like TomIAm Is God Like TomIAm Is God Like TomIAm Is God Like TomIAm Is God Like TomIAm Is God Like TomIAm Is God Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by hijiller View Post
Ok lets make this fun. A new poster for each step. The question is, do the trees you both can see total 18 or 20.

I count my trees. I see 12. My hot partner, therefore can see 8 to total 20 or 6 to total 18. I don't know which.
I pass.

Ready Player Two.

While your tree theory is off, I will confirm that Partner 1 "Passing" is the correct first move. So that is a piece of information for Partner 2.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:38 PM   #4
Alpheius
Greek god who can't draw

Thanked 1,169 Times in 866 Posts
Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like

Loving this!

I'm player two.

Hmm.

As player one has passed, this tells me that she doesn't see 18, 19, or 20 statues. Otherwise she would know the answer definitively.

While her response doesn't give me enough info to give an definite answer either, I am grateful because hopefully my next answer will give her a clue about how many statues I see.

So I'll also pass.

Last edited by Alpheius; 06-22-2019 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Logic flaw!
Alpheius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:46 AM   #5
hijiller
One foot on land, one on

Thanked 13,096 Times in 8,959 Posts
hijiller Is God Like hijiller Is God Like hijiller Is God Like hijiller Is God Like hijiller Is God Like hijiller Is God Like hijiller Is God Like hijiller Is God Like hijiller Is God Like hijiller Is God Like hijiller Is God Like

So what player one knows is :

The answer choices total either 18 or 20. P1 has #8, so player 2 has either 12 to make 20 or 10 to make 18.

Player 2 has 12, so the problem to be solved is to figure out what we already know. Player 1 has 8 and the freeing answer is 20.
But player 2 doesn't know this. Player 1 could have 6, thus making the solution 18.

How to deduce and communicate that information logically, not with assumptions or complex codes seemingly concocted beforehand?

So far player one has passed twice. It is Player 2's turn.

Last edited by hijiller; 06-22-2019 at 09:52 AM.
hijiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:09 AM   #6
Alpheius
Greek god who can't draw

Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like

Day 1
=====
P1:
Pass

P2:
Knows that P1 doesn't see 18, 19 or 20
Pass

Day 2
=====
P1:
Knows that P2 doesn't see 1 or 2
(Because if P2 sees 1 or 2, he would have known for certain that the total was 18. This is because if P2 sees 1 or 2 the total could not be 20, since P1 can't have seen 18, 19 or 20 from the first pass, and this is the only way that seeing 1 or 2 could add up to 20. So since P2 passes, he must have not seen 1 or 2)
Pass

P2:
Knows that P1 doesn't see 16, 17 (in addition to 18, 19, 20)
(P2 assumes that P1 is equally logical as he is.
P2 knows that P1 has deduced that P2 can't have seen 1 or 2, so if P1 sees 16 or 17, P1 would know for sure that the answer is 20, because P2 seeing 1 or 2 would bring the total to 18)
Pass
Old 06-22-2019, 12:48 PM   #7
TomIAm
Impeachment Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpheius View Post
Day 1
=====
P1:
Pass

P2:
Knows that P1 doesn't see 18, 19 or 20
Pass

Day 2
=====
P1:
Knows that P2 doesn't see 1 or 2
(Because if P2 sees 1 or 2, he would have known for certain that the total was 18. This is because if P2 sees 1 or 2 the total could not be 20, since P1 can't have seen 18, 19 or 20 from the first pass, and this is the only way that seeing 1 or 2 could add up to 20. So since P2 passes, he must have not seen 1 or 2)
Pass

P2:
Knows that P1 doesn't see 16, 17 (in addition to 18, 19, 20)
(P2 assumes that P1 is equally logical as he is.
P2 knows that P1 has deduced that P2 can't have seen 1 or 2, so if P1 sees 16 or 17, P1 would know for sure that the answer is 20, because P2 seeing 1 or 2 would bring the total to 18)
Pass

Bravo...except on Day 1, P2 can only rule out 19 or 20. If P1 had seen 18, it was still possible from his perspective for the total to be either 18 or 20
Alpheius (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 06:55 AM   #8
Alpheius
Greek god who can't draw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomIAm View Post
Bravo...except on Day 1, P2 can only rule out 19 or 20. If P1 had seen 18, it was still possible from his perspective for the total to be either 18 or 20
*Facepalms*
Of course!