Married And Flirting Chat

Go Back   Married And Flirting Chat > Married And Flirting Chat Forums > Current Events And Real Life

Current Events And Real Life Kids, Holidays, Entertainment. Things that married people worry about with our clothes on.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:05 PM   #76
Masada
Flirting God

Masada has a reputation beyond repute Masada has a reputation beyond repute Masada has a reputation beyond repute Masada has a reputation beyond repute Masada has a reputation beyond repute Masada has a reputation beyond repute Masada has a reputation beyond repute Masada has a reputation beyond repute Masada has a reputation beyond repute Masada has a reputation beyond repute Masada has a reputation beyond repute

I played four years of football and a year of basketball. Since I started teaching I coached HS football for 19 years and HS wrestling for 13 years.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:03 PM   #77
RisingSun
College Football!!!

Thanked 3,132 Times in 2,903 Posts
RisingSun Is God Like RisingSun Is God Like RisingSun Is God Like RisingSun Is God Like RisingSun Is God Like RisingSun Is God Like RisingSun Is God Like RisingSun Is God Like RisingSun Is God Like RisingSun Is God Like RisingSun Is God Like

Yes, 3 sports in High School....
Old 11-21-2018, 09:40 PM   #78
Ivan
Flirting God

Thanked 6,605 Times in 4,037 Posts
Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like

boxing - Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee

Last edited by Ivan; 11-22-2018 at 11:23 PM.
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:18 PM   #79
justkimberly
Sweetness Personified

justkimberly has a reputation beyond repute justkimberly has a reputation beyond repute justkimberly has a reputation beyond repute justkimberly has a reputation beyond repute justkimberly has a reputation beyond repute justkimberly has a reputation beyond repute justkimberly has a reputation beyond repute justkimberly has a reputation beyond repute justkimberly has a reputation beyond repute justkimberly has a reputation beyond repute justkimberly has a reputation beyond repute

Does volleyball count?
justkimberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:56 PM   #80
hikergeek
The Invisible Man

hikergeek Is God Like hikergeek Is God Like hikergeek Is God Like hikergeek Is God Like hikergeek Is God Like hikergeek Is God Like hikergeek Is God Like hikergeek Is God Like hikergeek Is God Like hikergeek Is God Like hikergeek Is God Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkimberly View Post
Does volleyball count?
Sure!

I played intramural volleyball in college. Was yours a school team?
"...And then all the laws of mind and matter that restrain him. Then the planets about him... and at last, out across immensity to the stars. And when he has conquered all the deeps of Space, and all the mysteries of Time, still he will be beginning."
hikergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hikergeek For This Useful Post:
justkimberly (11-22-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 12:05 AM   #81
justkimberly
Sweetness Personified

justkimberly has a reputation beyond repute justkimberly has a reputation beyond repute justkimberly has a reputation beyond repute justkimberly has a reputation beyond repute justkimberly has a reputation beyond repute justkimberly has a reputation beyond repute justkimberly has a reputation beyond repute justkimberly has a reputation beyond repute justkimberly has a reputation beyond repute justkimberly has a reputation beyond repute justkimberly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikergeek View Post
Sure!

I played intramural volleyball in college. Was yours a school team?

It was just gym class...
justkimberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:29 AM   #82
msu
made it.....

Thanked 6,584 Times in 5,532 Posts
msu Is God Like msu Is God Like msu Is God Like msu Is God Like msu Is God Like msu Is God Like msu Is God Like msu Is God Like msu Is God Like msu Is God Like msu Is God Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
Interesting question since in Europe and other countries high schools and universities don't have sports teams. There is certainly lots of sports available for kids, but the sports associations and clubs are not part of school. In my view it's much better because it gives more kids the opportunity to play team sports. And schools can focus on academia.

I wonder how that ever got started in the states? Perhaps because the US was once very rural and schools were the natural place to form teams?

A study of this would likely reveal that it was/is all about community. The town, or rural community, would have maybe multiple elementary schools, a middle and a high school. Sports would start at middle school, and get popular at high school. In a city, there would be several high schools.

It was, and is, the perfect funneling for these opportunities and created natural rivalries. I know a place where out of many community "1st through 12th grade" schools came a new system, many decades ago, that produced two new high schools in one county. They've been rivals for decades now. Thousands would come to the annual football game.

A newer phenomenon in America is what is known as "sport specialization". The very short explanation is that kids are being told if they're good in one particular sport, they should play that, and only that, 8-11 months out of the year. So, when high school season is over, they pay to play for "travel teams" which go to different tournaments and events.

They do it being told it's the best (or only) way to get in front of college coaches to find a scholarship. The percentage of student-athletes who actually get a fully paid college scholarship playing sports is SO LOW, their parents would be better off taking the tens of thousands they sink into these travel teams (gas, hotels, food, uniforms, specialized equipment for sometimes 7-10 years) and save it to actually pay for college.

It's hard to say if, one day, high schools won't be the "go to" place for sports. It'll be sad if it does, because what will happen is the economic well-to-do will be able to afford sports, and the poor will not.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:58 AM   #83
gabrielle22
Coniglio Fero'c'e

Thanked 16,438 Times in 11,726 Posts
gabrielle22 Is God Like gabrielle22 Is God Like gabrielle22 Is God Like gabrielle22 Is God Like gabrielle22 Is God Like gabrielle22 Is God Like gabrielle22 Is God Like gabrielle22 Is God Like gabrielle22 Is God Like gabrielle22 Is God Like gabrielle22 Is God Like

I was a mathlete. Does that count?
gabrielle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gabrielle22 For This Useful Post:
Alpheius (11-22-2018), msu (11-22-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 03:41 AM   #84
Alpheius
Greek god who can't draw

Thanked 1,155 Times in 853 Posts
Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielle22 View Post
I was a mathlete. Does that count?
You were the one counting!
Alpheius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alpheius For This Useful Post:
gabrielle22 (11-22-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 03:44 AM   #85
Alpheius
Greek god who can't draw

Thanked 1,155 Times in 853 Posts
Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like

I played tennis, but most of my serves went under the net.
Alpheius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:58 PM   #86
oldandnaked
Flirting God

Thanked 7,372 Times in 4,848 Posts
oldandnaked Is God Like oldandnaked Is God Like oldandnaked Is God Like oldandnaked Is God Like oldandnaked Is God Like oldandnaked Is God Like oldandnaked Is God Like oldandnaked Is God Like oldandnaked Is God Like oldandnaked Is God Like oldandnaked Is God Like

Wrestling.

I was the tallest and skinniest kid on the team. They called me the Praying Mantis.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:29 PM   #87
Masada
Flirting God

Masada has a reputation beyond repute Masada has a reputation beyond repute Masada has a reputation beyond repute Masada has a reputation beyond repute Masada has a reputation beyond repute Masada has a reputation beyond repute Masada has a reputation beyond repute Masada has a reputation beyond repute Masada has a reputation beyond repute Masada has a reputation beyond repute Masada has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by msu View Post
A study of this would likely reveal that it was/is all about community. The town, or rural community, would have maybe multiple elementary schools, a middle and a high school. Sports would start at middle school, and get popular at high school. In a city, there would be several high schools.

It was, and is, the perfect funneling for these opportunities and created natural rivalries. I know a place where out of many community "1st through 12th grade" schools came a new system, many decades ago, that produced two new high schools in one county. They've been rivals for decades now. Thousands would come to the annual football game.

A newer phenomenon in America is what is known as "sport specialization". The very short explanation is that kids are being told if they're good in one particular sport, they should play that, and only that, 8-11 months out of the year. So, when high school season is over, they pay to play for "travel teams" which go to different tournaments and events.

They do it being told it's the best (or only) way to get in front of college coaches to find a scholarship. The percentage of student-athletes who actually get a fully paid college scholarship playing sports is SO LOW, their parents would be better off taking the tens of thousands they sink into these travel teams (gas, hotels, food, uniforms, specialized equipment for sometimes 7-10 years) and save it to actually pay for college.

It's hard to say if, one day, high schools won't be the "go to" place for sports. It'll be sad if it does, because what will happen is the economic well-to-do will be able to afford sports, and the poor will not.
There is something to this specialization thing, but I find it tends to happen in sports like volleyball. On every coaching staff I was ever a part of (football and wrestling), we strongly encouraged our athletes to play other sports. We didn't want our athletes to specialize. We wanted them to develop skills, teamwork, and most of all have fun in high school.