Married And Flirting Chat

Go Back   Married And Flirting Chat > Married And Flirting Chat Forums > Everyday Life For Married Couples

Everyday Life For Married Couples A forum for couples to chat about your everyday married life. This would be a good place for women and men to get to know eachother.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:09 PM   #1
Jabbuk
The invisible rabbit

Jabbuk Is God Like Jabbuk Is God Like Jabbuk Is God Like Jabbuk Is God Like Jabbuk Is God Like Jabbuk Is God Like Jabbuk Is God Like Jabbuk Is God Like Jabbuk Is God Like Jabbuk Is God Like Jabbuk Is God Like
Default Do you think our kids have it tougher than we did?

I've been going round and round with Tom over a variety of things (no shock there I'm sure) and it brought me back around to another issue I've talked about over the years. I'd like to hear other thoughts.

I know when I was growing up my dad made sure to tell me how hard it was for him growing up and how my generation had it easy. Perhaps he was right, I know he grew up during and post WWII. That gave me pause to consider my own kids.

I have a 17 year old son. I'll freely admit he's been a dream to raise, never gets in trouble is National Honor Society and National Science Honor Society, boxes 5 days a week yet still takes part in local and national engineering competitions. (3rd place recently in the nation.... yeah proud dad talk).

He has had his restricted DL for 2 years now and shows no interest in driving. Weird to me. But I look at what he and his friends have to contend with. I admit growing up I had 4 TV stations and I was my dads remote control. "Go change the channel son". Now our kids have hundreds of stations and the things they can see would have been banned from our viewing by the FCC.

I had one telephone and for most of my life is someone was on it and you called you got a "beep beep" noise to let you know it was busy and you were outta luck. Now? My son has a cell phone, facebook, twitter, and lord knows what else.

When I was growing up if I did something stupid in front of my friends we all laughed and I may have been teased about it for a few weeks. Now? Someone video recorded the thing and I'm a facebook sensation and it never goes away.

Do our kids have it tougher than we did? I personally believe they do. What other things do they face that we never had to? I'd be interested to hear what other people have to say. Thanks.
BlueSky1234 (07-13-2017), SunnyD (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 08:20 PM   #2
SunnyD
Elusive Flirting Goddess

Thanked 13,031 Times in 8,027 Posts
SunnyD Is God Like SunnyD Is God Like SunnyD Is God Like SunnyD Is God Like SunnyD Is God Like SunnyD Is God Like SunnyD Is God Like SunnyD Is God Like SunnyD Is God Like SunnyD Is God Like SunnyD Is God Like

I don't believe our kids have it "rougher" than we did, but I do believe that we've pampered them into believing they don't have to be subjected to the standards we adhered to. When dad was home he got the recliner, the TV and there wasn't a selection of dinner options. Our kids have different challenges, but they are the challenges they grew up with and know about like emailing, texting or posting naughty images or even just embarrassing stuff. We used to have neighbors that told our parents about what we did 4 blocks away before we had a chance to get home... now they get 100k likes or retweets.
BlueSky1234 (07-13-2017), DomesticDiva (07-05-2017), Violetsrblue (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 08:35 PM   #3
Just A Girl
The Notorious J.A.G.

Thanked 33,026 Times in 20,419 Posts
Just A Girl Is God Like Just A Girl Is God Like Just A Girl Is God Like Just A Girl Is God Like Just A Girl Is God Like Just A Girl Is God Like Just A Girl Is God Like Just A Girl Is God Like Just A Girl Is God Like Just A Girl Is God Like Just A Girl Is God Like

I think the bullying today is way worse. We got a break usually when we went home. With social media and texting, there's just no break in sight.
Just A Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Just A Girl For This Useful Post:
BlueSky1234 (07-13-2017), DomesticDiva (07-05-2017), scott46 (07-05-2017), Sensual Woman (07-05-2017), Violetsrblue (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 08:53 PM   #4
SunnyD
Elusive Flirting Goddess

Thanked 13,031 Times in 8,027 Posts
SunnyD Is God Like SunnyD Is God Like SunnyD Is God Like SunnyD Is God Like SunnyD Is God Like SunnyD Is God Like SunnyD Is God Like SunnyD Is God Like SunnyD Is God Like SunnyD Is God Like SunnyD Is God Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Girl View Post
I think the bullying today is way worse. We got a break usually when we went home. With social media and texting, there's just no break in sight.
Bullying used to be physical taunting which most schools have zero tolerance policy on now, but I do agree social media and online "shaming" is out of control. I again think that is a failure on the adults though.. kids are too dependent on electronics and determine their self worth based on how many "likes" they get which they are getting from their distracted parents
Just A Girl (07-05-2017), Violetsrblue (07-05-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 01:38 AM   #5
Bakman41
Married And Flirting

Bakman41 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a different world. Kids now days have totally different challenges than we did. I think over all they have it more difficult than we did. Fact is we, ourselves, have it more difficult than we did just a few years ago.
When I was a kid, I had a paper route and made good money. Now days adults take those kind of jobs. Life Guards used to be a summer job for kids. Mowing lawns, raking leafs was a way for us kids to make a few extra bucks. Now those jobs are done by adults.
Our kids are bombarded with social media, and smart phones, computers, Playstations, and so on. We played outside. Sometimes even in the warm rain.
I'm retired and have been since 2009, but yet both my son and his wife as well as our daughter and our grand daughter still live with us.
Yes, life is harder for them.
Bakman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bakman41 For This Useful Post:
Jabbuk (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 01:43 AM   #6
Alpheius
Greek god who can't draw

Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like

If kids have it tougher now, is it also tougher for us to be parents to them?
Alpheius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:08 AM   #7
GlassyLady
Sexy Tumblrina

Thanked 2,991 Times in 2,279 Posts
GlassyLady Is God Like GlassyLady Is God Like GlassyLady Is God Like GlassyLady Is God Like GlassyLady Is God Like GlassyLady Is God Like GlassyLady Is God Like GlassyLady Is God Like GlassyLady Is God Like GlassyLady Is God Like GlassyLady Is God Like

No
Old 07-13-2017, 05:58 AM   #8
SpecialK
My blog is my homepage..

Thanked 6,151 Times in 4,794 Posts
SpecialK Is God Like SpecialK Is God Like SpecialK Is God Like SpecialK Is God Like SpecialK Is God Like SpecialK Is God Like SpecialK Is God Like SpecialK Is God Like SpecialK Is God Like SpecialK Is God Like SpecialK Is God Like

Our kids live in a "harder" society... where there are many more conveniences, it is more difficult to find other people that actually care to as great a degree as they did 30 years ago. It seems like most of society is pointing fingers at each other. We grew up in a world where people took the time to show a little patience and provide a bit more nurturing. Now it truly is a rat race... and the cards are stacked against anyone who needs to work his/her way up.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:51 AM   #9
Jabbuk
The invisible rabbit

Jabbuk Is God Like Jabbuk Is God Like Jabbuk Is God Like Jabbuk Is God Like Jabbuk Is God Like Jabbuk Is God Like Jabbuk Is God Like Jabbuk Is God Like Jabbuk Is God Like Jabbuk Is God Like Jabbuk Is God Like

So I have to ask, was it just where I grew up or did we all know our neighbors growing up? We used to have block parties with everyone bringing food and picnic tables. 30+ people. Some of my friends now don't know their neighbors name.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:50 AM   #10
Just A Girl
The Notorious J.A.G.

Thanked 33,026 Times in 20,419 Posts
Just A Girl Is God Like Just A Girl Is God Like Just A Girl Is God Like Just A Girl Is God Like Just A Girl Is God Like Just A Girl Is God Like Just A Girl Is God Like Just A Girl Is God Like Just A Girl Is God Like Just A Girl Is God Like Just A Girl Is God Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabbuk View Post
So I have to ask, was it just where I grew up or did we all know our neighbors growing up? We used to have block parties with everyone bringing food and picnic tables. 30+ people. Some of my friends now don't know their neighbors name.
I knew most of my neighbors and always had a second set of eyes on me. My bubba didn't have that luxury. Most of my old neighbors I didn't know. However since moving I've met all my neighbors and they're lovely.
Just A Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:13 AM   #11
ImNotYourWife
🙈🙉🙊

Thanked 1,540 Times in 1,122 Posts
ImNotYourWife Is God Like ImNotYourWife Is God Like ImNotYourWife Is God Like ImNotYourWife Is God Like ImNotYourWife Is God Like ImNotYourWife Is God Like ImNotYourWife Is God Like ImNotYourWife Is God Like ImNotYourWife Is God Like ImNotYourWife Is God Like ImNotYourWife Is God Like

I remember as a kid our neighbors were like my second set of parents, they would look out for me and their front door was like a revolving door for myself and most of the neighborhood kids and I do hate that my kids didn't get to experience that. I have the most amazing memories of living in a community that felt like a big happy family. Our doors were left unlocked and we were always there for each other. My kids are now grown but when they were kids I was paranoid to let them play outside by themselves and even though they had sleepovers and playdates it was just a different feel.

I believe our kids now have a lot more issues to deal with thanks to social media, smart phones and all the different apps out there but I also believe that the way they deal with all those issues have a lot to do with their upbringing, how present their parents are and how much we communicate with them.
ImNotYourWife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ImNotYourWife For This Useful Post:
Jabbuk (07-13-2017), Just A Girl (07-13-2017)