Married And Flirting Chat

Go Back   Married And Flirting Chat > Married And Flirting Chat Forums > Everyday Life For Married Couples

Everyday Life For Married Couples A forum for couples to chat about your everyday married life. This would be a good place for women and men to get to know eachother.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:17 PM   #1
spare_change
Multiple Orgasm Donor

Thanked 4,146 Times in 2,865 Posts
spare_change Is God Like spare_change Is God Like spare_change Is God Like spare_change Is God Like spare_change Is God Like spare_change Is God Like spare_change Is God Like spare_change Is God Like spare_change Is God Like spare_change Is God Like spare_change Is God Like
Default Is Marriage Obsolete?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

People don't say "I do" like they used to.

A new poll shows almost 4 in 10 Americans say marriage is becoming obsolete. That’s a sharp increase from the 1970s.

The study done by the Pew Research Center - along with CNN's sister publication Time magazine - shows only about half of adults are married; down sharply from more than 70 percent fifty years ago.

This decline in marriage has happened along class lines, with college graduates being much more likely to still get hitched these days than those with a high school diploma or less. This makes a certain amount of sense given the unstable economy.

As the marriage rate has dropped, cohabitation is on the rise, almost doubling since 1990. Nearly half of all adults say they've lived with a partner out of wedlock at some point, and most of them consider it a step toward marriage

This poll also shows rapidly changing ideas of what makes up an American family. Today nearly 30 percent of children live with a parent or parents who are divorced or not married. That's five times as many as in 1960.

Most people agree a married couple with or without kids constitutes a family, but majorities now also say that unmarried couples - single parents or same-sex couples - with children also fit the definition of family.

Those most likely to accept changing definitions of family include young adults, liberals, secular and unmarried people and blacks. But don't count traditional marriage out yet.

Americans are still more optimistic about the future of marriage and family than they are about the nation's educational system, its economy or its morals and ethics.

Here’s my question to you: Is marriage becoming obsolete?
Old 11-18-2010, 11:23 PM   #2
Johnny Walker Red
The Devil in Disquise

Johnny Walker Red Is God Like Johnny Walker Red Is God Like Johnny Walker Red Is God Like Johnny Walker Red Is God Like Johnny Walker Red Is God Like Johnny Walker Red Is God Like Johnny Walker Red Is God Like Johnny Walker Red Is God Like Johnny Walker Red Is God Like Johnny Walker Red Is God Like Johnny Walker Red Is God Like

only in the US
Old 11-19-2010, 12:29 AM   #3
spare_change
Multiple Orgasm Donor

Thanked 4,146 Times in 2,865 Posts
spare_change Is God Like spare_change Is God Like spare_change Is God Like spare_change Is God Like spare_change Is God Like spare_change Is God Like spare_change Is God Like spare_change Is God Like spare_change Is God Like spare_change Is God Like spare_change Is God Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Walker Red View Post
only in the US
Interesting response.

Perhaps you can expand on it? I'm curious where you're going.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:39 AM   #4
Johnny Walker Red
The Devil in Disquise

Johnny Walker Red Is God Like Johnny Walker Red Is God Like Johnny Walker Red Is God Like Johnny Walker Red Is God Like Johnny Walker Red Is God Like Johnny Walker Red Is God Like Johnny Walker Red Is God Like Johnny Walker Red Is God Like Johnny Walker Red Is God Like Johnny Walker Red Is God Like Johnny Walker Red Is God Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by spare_change View Post
Interesting response.

Perhaps you can expand on it? I'm curious where you're going.
Simply the facts

stability. We should be every bit as much concerned with our nation's family environment as we are with our nation's economic and natural environments. Yet if ever there was a serious domestic problem almost entirely ignored by our national elected representatives, this is it. Despite the fact, for example, that many Americans believe the current state of marriage to be one of the major problems of our time, no high-level government body in memory has examined the issue. Indeed, in recent years the government even has cut back on the collection of marriage statistics. Is the goal of renewing a marriage-based society impossible to achieve? It certainly will not be easy. Much of the needed change must come, of course, in the cultural, moral and spiritual realms. But there are many things that can be done at the federal level to smooth the path. Perhaps the most important is merely to recognize—as societies in the past have nearly always done as a part of public policy—that the benefits to children of having married parents are so great that the institution of marriage should be encouraged by every reasonable means possible. Fortunately, many ways exist to strengthen and stabilize marriage, to make marriage a more satisfying as well as more durable social relationship. And, of course, government should seek to do no harm in this realm. It should never institute policies, for example, that provide disincentives to marriage, or that fail equally to support children not in a two-parent family. Some believe that pro-marriage policies can not be put forth without stigmatizing and penalizing those who for one reason or another, sometimes through no fault of their own, are not married. Yet the fact remains that the overwhelming majority of young people today wish to marry for life, and the parents of these young people, no matter what their marital state, also hold that goal for their offspring. There is actually an enormous reservoir of support for a marriage-based culture. In addition to the significant and enduring benefits for children, the evidence is clear that having a solid, long-term marriage greatly enhances the wealth, health, longevity, and overall happiness of adults. More than 2000 years ago the Roman statesman Cicero noted that "marriage is the first bond of society." Surely this observation is no less true today. © copyright National Marriage Project
http://www.virginia.edu/marriageproj...agedecline.pdf
As the recent results of the Year 2000 Census confirm, marriage as the basis of family life continues to decline in America. Since 1970 the rate of marriage has dropped by about one third, the out-of-wedlock birth ratio has climbed from 11% to 33% of all births, the divorce rate has doubled, and the number of people living together outside of marriage has grown by over 1000%. With the exception of nonmarital cohabitation, which increased dramatically, the marriage-decline trends decelerated a little in the 1990s. But they have continued in the same direction. As of now, there is no tangible evidence of a turnaround, although a more pro-marriage attitude does seem to be gaining ground in the media and the culture at large. Why should this marriage decline be of national concern? Principally, because of its effects on our nation's children. The social science evidence is now overwhelming that children fare better in life if they grow up in a married, two-parent family. Children who grow up in other family forms are two to three times at greater risk of having serious behavioral and emotional problems when they become adolescents and adults. Many of today's youth problems can be attributed, directly or indirectly, to the decline of marriage. This includes high rates of juvenile delinquency, suicide, substance abuse, child poverty, mental illness, and emotional instability. One important new study has found that the average American child in recent decades reported more anxiety than child psychiatric patients in the 1950s. Indeed, as former Senator Moynihan once observed, the United States "may be the first society in history in which children are distinctly worse off than adults." Much of the linkage between the decline of marriage and the rise of problems in childhood rests with the absent father. The evidence is now strong that fathers do matter in the lives of their children. And, although there are many caring and responsible non-resident fathers, the alarmingly simple fact is that men are much less likely to stay close to their children when they are not married to their children's mother. Men tend to view marriage and childrearing as a single package. If they are not married or are divorced, their interest in and sense of responsibility toward children greatly diminish. Many studies have found that a high percentage of all unmarried or divorced fathers lose regular contact with their children over time. Why is marriage so important to fatherhood? Because being a father is universally problematic for men in a way it is not for women. Put simply, as marriage weakens, fathers stray. While mothers the world over bear and nurture their young with an intrinsic acknowledgement of their role, fathers are often filled with conflict and doubt. Left culturally unregulated, men's sexual behavior can be promiscuous, their paternity casual, their commitment to families weak. Marriage is society's way of engaging the basic problem of fatherhood—how to hold the father to the stronger mother-child bond. As a cultural institution, marriage stresses the long-run commitment of the male, the durability of the marital relationship, and the importance of the union for children
Cristal (11-19-2010), Just A Girl (11-19-2010), spare_change (11-19-2010)
Old 11-19-2010, 01:01 AM   #5
Ivan
Lover ... of donuts

Thanked 6,207 Times in 3,793 Posts
Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like Ivan Is God Like

Quote:
only in the US

Right, just look at all the young Russian girls on the internet wanting to get married. Their only dream is to get hitched and be a perfect wife. In contrast there are zero American mail order bride websites. Proof enough.
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:41 AM   #6
libragirl
Time to go
I Love It Here

Thanked 5,596 Times in 4,249 Posts
libragirl Is God Like libragirl Is God Like libragirl Is God Like libragirl Is God Like libragirl Is God Like libragirl Is God Like libragirl Is God Like libragirl Is God Like libragirl Is God Like libragirl Is God Like libragirl Is God Like

Quote:
only in the US
well i disagree look at the statistics
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/pe...-marriage-rate

according to it, USA still has the highest marriage rate as opposed to Sweden and Finland.
libragirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:42 AM   #7
1zor
Flirting God

Thanked 1,269 Times in 1,182 Posts
1zor Is God Like 1zor Is God Like 1zor Is God Like 1zor Is God Like 1zor Is God Like 1zor Is God Like 1zor Is God Like 1zor Is God Like 1zor Is God Like 1zor Is God Like 1zor Is God Like

It works for the people not in the site lol
1zor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:08 AM   #8
reloaded231
Super Flirt

reloaded231 has a reputation beyond repute reloaded231 has a reputation beyond repute reloaded231 has a reputation beyond repute reloaded231 has a reputation beyond repute reloaded231 has a reputation beyond repute reloaded231 has a reputation beyond repute reloaded231 has a reputation beyond repute reloaded231 has a reputation beyond repute reloaded231 has a reputation beyond repute reloaded231 has a reputation beyond repute reloaded231 has a reputation beyond repute

to me marriage is nothing more then a piece of paper just about no one takes it for what it is for anymore if i ever get divorced i will NEVER and i mean NEVER get barried agin
Old 11-19-2010, 09:29 AM   #9
Slayer
:\

Slayer Is God Like Slayer Is God Like Slayer Is God Like Slayer Is God Like Slayer Is God Like Slayer Is God Like Slayer Is God Like Slayer Is God Like Slayer Is God Like Slayer Is God Like Slayer Is God Like

Nope, it's a partnership no matter how dysfunctional it may be. It's not obsolete rather evolving. For some people it just works differently. If you base marriage on Leave it to Beaver or the Brady Bunch then yeah it's dead but that was never really reality to begin with. Capice?

Last edited by Slayer; 11-19-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:06 PM   #10
november
Hippie Chick

november Is God Like november Is God Like november Is God Like november Is God Like november Is God Like november Is God Like november Is God Like november Is God Like november Is God Like november Is God Like november Is God Like

mine is!
drkcloud (11-19-2010)
Old 11-19-2010, 08:10 PM   #11
blueeyedtomcat
Flirting Guest

No I may think I want to be with lots of different women but I would be lost without her and my children in my life
Old 11-19-2010, 08:17 PM   #12
SpecialK
You're No Daisy..

Thanked 6,363 Times in 4,951 Posts
SpecialK Is God Like SpecialK Is God Like SpecialK Is God Like SpecialK Is God Like SpecialK Is God Like SpecialK Is God Like SpecialK Is God Like SpecialK Is God Like SpecialK Is God Like SpecialK Is God Like SpecialK Is God Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by libragirl View Post
well i disagree look at the statistics
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/pe...-marriage-rate

according to it, USA still has the highest marriage rate as opposed to Sweden and Finland.
That is from 2001... here's a slightly more updated one...

1. Barbados (13.1)
A majority of Bajans—as residents of Barbados are often called—is Christian.

2. Vietnam (12.1)
While Buddhism does not compel the Vietnamese people to tie the knot, Vietnam has the second highest rate of marriages. Buddhists marry out of a personal decision, and not because not doing so would be considered sinful.

3. Ethiopia (10.2)
Africa's oldest independent nation has a mixed population of Muslims and Christians.
In Ethiopia, the parents of the bride and groom are often the ones at the forefront of arranging Christian marriages.

4. Seychelles (9.9)
About 90% of the country's population is Catholic according to the US Library of Congress. Anglicans (7%), evangelical Protestants (1%), and other religious groups make up the rest of the population.

5. Jordan (9.7)
Group weddings, participated in by hundreds of couples, is a common practice in this Islamic nation to defray wedding costs.

6. Iran (8.9)
Marriage rules are guided by Shia law though non-Shias are permitted to follow their own religious practices. Before the Iranian Revolution, women were allowed to marry at 18 and men at 21.

7.a Algeria (8.8)
When an Algerian couple gets married, the bride normally moves in with the groom's family, where she lives under the watchful eye of her mother-in-law.

7.b Mauritius (8.8)
Hinduism is one of the predominant religions in this African country. There are 13 intricate steps or rituals at the core of a Vedic wedding ceremony. The ceremony ends with the couple throwing food offerings into a sacred fire.

9. Jamaica (8.3)
A typical wedding in this island nation involves the participation of the entire village or community where the couple lives.

10. USA (8.0)
About 2.5 million weddings take place in the United States each year with June being the most popular month to exchange vows.

SOURCE: TOP 10 OF EVERYTHING 2009
libragirl (11-19-2010)
Old 11-19-2010, 08:27 PM   #13
libragirl
Time to go
I Love It Here

Thanked 5,596 Times in 4,249 Posts
libragirl Is God Like libragirl Is God Like libragirl Is God Like libragirl Is God Like libragirl Is God Like libragirl Is God Like libragirl Is God Like libragirl Is God Like libragirl Is God Like libragirl Is God Like libragirl Is God Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMike66 View Post
That is from 2001... here's a slightly more updated one...

1. Barbados (13.1)
A majority of Bajans—as residents of Barbados are often called—is Christian.

2. Vietnam (12.1)
While Buddhism does not compel the Vietnamese people to tie the knot, Vietnam has the second highest rate of marriages. Buddhists marry out of a personal decision, and not because not doing so would be considered sinful.

3. Ethiopia (10.2)
Africa's oldest independent nation has a mixed population of Muslims and Christians.
In Ethiopia, the parents of the bride and groom are often the ones at the forefront of arranging Christian marriages.

4. Seychelles (9.9)
About 90% of the country's population is Catholic according to the US Library of Congress. Anglicans (7%), evangelical Protestants (1%), and other religious groups make up the rest of the population.

5. Jordan (9.7)
Group weddings, participated in by hundreds of couples, is a common practice in this Islamic nation to defray wedding costs.

6. Iran (8.9)
Marriage rules are guided by Shia law though non-Shias are permitted to follow their own religious practices. Before the Iranian Revolution, women were allowed to marry at 18 and men at 21.

7.a Algeria (8.8)
When an Algerian couple gets married, the bride normally moves in with the groom's family, where she lives under the watchful eye of her mother-in-law.

7.b Mauritius (8.8)
Hinduism is one of the predominant religions in this African country. There are 13 intricate steps or rituals at the core of a Vedic wedding ceremony. The ceremony ends with the couple throwing food offerings into a sacred fire.

9. Jamaica (8.3)
A typical wedding in this island nation involves the participation of the entire village or community where the couple lives.

10. USA (8.0)
About 2.5 million weddings take place in the United States each year with June being the most popular month to exchange vows.

SOURCE: TOP 10 OF EVERYTHING 2009
Thank you. But where is Europe on here?
libragirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:08 PM   #14
SpecialK
You're No Daisy..

Thanked 6,363 Times in 4,951 Posts
SpecialK Is God Like SpecialK Is God Like SpecialK Is God Like SpecialK Is God Like SpecialK Is God Like SpecialK Is God Like SpecialK Is God Like SpecialK Is God Like SpecialK Is God Like SpecialK Is God Like SpecialK Is God Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by libragirl View Post
Thank you. But where is Europe on here?
Evidently they've sunk lower too.. like the U.S.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:02 PM   #15
Hotliz
Flirting Goddess

Hotliz has a reputation beyond repute Hotliz has a reputation beyond repute Hotliz has a reputation beyond repute Hotliz has a reputation beyond repute Hotliz has a reputation beyond repute Hotliz has a reputation beyond repute Hotliz has a reputation beyond repute Hotliz has a reputation beyond repute Hotliz has a reputation beyond repute Hotliz has a reputation beyond repute Hotliz has a reputation beyond repute

No, marriage is not obsolete. You should have a spouse to cheat on, right?
Hotliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:10 PM   #16
billy porter
Kent born and bred

Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,933 Posts
billy porter Is God Like billy porter Is God Like billy porter Is God Like billy porter Is God Like billy porter Is God Like billy porter Is God Like billy porter Is God Like billy porter Is God Like billy porter Is God Like billy porter Is God Like billy porter Is God Like

I wouldn't have it any other way
billy porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:31 PM   #17
RisingSun
4.5% GDP Forecasted

Thanked 2,682 Times in 2,477 Posts
RisingSun Is God Like RisingSun Is God Like RisingSun Is God Like RisingSun Is God Like RisingSun Is God Like RisingSun Is God Like RisingSun Is God Like RisingSun Is God Like RisingSun Is God Like RisingSun Is God Like RisingSun Is God Like

Mine is....

It's not what they call you, It's what you answer to!
RisingSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:31 AM   #18
Alpheius
Greek god who can't draw

Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like Alpheius Is God Like

What are the features of the new version? Should I upgrade?
Alpheius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:08 PM   #19
jonas18
Wait, what?

jonas18 has a reputation beyond repute jonas18 has a reputation beyond repute jonas18 has a reputation beyond repute jonas18 has a reputation beyond repute jonas18 has a reputation beyond repute jonas18 has a reputation beyond repute jonas18 has a reputation beyond repute jonas18 has a reputation beyond repute jonas18 has a reputation beyond repute jonas18 has a reputation beyond repute jonas18 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe marriage will ever go away...we're pushed media angle constantly from when we are quite young...the wife/husband white picket fence, 2.2 kids and a couple of cars. Most of use (me included) then yearn for that unknowingly.

It seems to me, just my opinion, that "the media" is losing it's constant open channel for our attention. - And that's a fantastic trend...
Old 11-09-2017, 08:09 AM   #20
shutterbug
Super Flirt

shutterbug has a reputation beyond repute shutterbug has a reputation beyond repute shutterbug has a reputation beyond repute shutterbug has a reputation beyond repute shutterbug has a reputation beyond repute shutterbug has a reputation beyond repute shutterbug has a reputation beyond repute shutterbug has a reputation beyond repute shutterbug has a reputation beyond repute shutterbug has a reputation beyond repute shutterbug has a reputation beyond repute

Not at all. People just have to work at it.
shutterbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:40 AM   #21
gabrielle22
Coniglio Fero'c'e

Thanked 14,951 Times in 10,784 Posts
gabrielle22 Is God Like gabrielle22 Is God Like gabrielle22 Is God Like gabrielle22 Is God Like gabrielle22 Is God Like gabrielle22 Is God Like gabrielle22 Is God Like gabrielle22 Is God Like gabrielle22 Is God Like gabrielle22 Is God Like gabrielle22 Is God Like

I don't think marriage is obsolete.

I do think that the kind of love that can sustain "until death do us part" is exceedingly rare.
gabrielle22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:24 AM   #22
GlassyLady
Sexy Tumblrina

Thanked 3,143 Times in 2,397 Posts
GlassyLady Is God Like GlassyLady Is God Like GlassyLady Is God Like GlassyLady Is God Like GlassyLady Is God Like GlassyLady Is God Like GlassyLady Is God Like GlassyLady Is God Like GlassyLady Is God Like GlassyLady Is God Like GlassyLady Is God Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielle22 View Post
I don't think marriage is obsolete.

I do think that the kind of love that can sustain "until death do us part" is exceedingly rare.
People tend to live too flipping long. Good job they don't have a cure for something that's been around since the start of humanity, to kill some of us off