Married And Flirting Chat

Go Back   Married And Flirting Chat > Married And Flirting Chat Forums > Everyday Life For Married Couples

Everyday Life For Married Couples A forum for couples to chat about your everyday married life. This would be a good place for women and men to get to know eachother.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
Shawn
Forum Surfer

Thanked 17,572 Times in 9,201 Posts
Shawn Is God Like Shawn Is God Like Shawn Is God Like Shawn Is God Like Shawn Is God Like Shawn Is God Like Shawn Is God Like Shawn Is God Like Shawn Is God Like Shawn Is God Like Shawn Is God Like
Default When did you Stop Believing?

Ok ... so I am listening to a local radio station and they were talking about Santa, childhood memories and the inevitable discovery that we all were duped for a period of time by our families.

Do you recall the time you found out ... maybe the time your kids found out?

I recall doing a late night stake out hiding behind a couch so I could finally let Santa have it for stiffing me when I was 6 .... only to my horror of seeing a well intoxicated father pulling out gift after gift from the "forbidden closet" .... I pretended not to know ... but it was like seeing my superhero die.

My son who is not yet 4 .. obviously still believes and my older friends tell me to live every moment while he does as it is precious ... the station hd this site http://www.portablenorthpole.tv/home which is pretty cool if you are lucky enough to have kids that still believe... I just did it and can not wait to see him watch.
Ally (12-16-2010), CupidsSidekick (12-16-2010), daisyduck (12-16-2010), gdgrl (12-16-2010)
Old 12-16-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
gdgrl
Follow me

Thanked 9,367 Times in 5,445 Posts
gdgrl Is God Like gdgrl Is God Like gdgrl Is God Like gdgrl Is God Like gdgrl Is God Like gdgrl Is God Like gdgrl Is God Like gdgrl Is God Like gdgrl Is God Like gdgrl Is God Like gdgrl Is God Like

I tried to keep the spirit on for quite a long time for my kids. Even when their friends told them there was no Santa, they are now 20, 18 and 11, I still set out cookies and milk and leave one partially eaten.

For me, I don't remember exactly how old I was, but I know I cried. Maybe 2nd or 3rd grade, it was pretty tragic. I still have the scars.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:40 PM   #3
Fwd40s
Flirting With Disaster

Thanked 3,552 Times in 3,054 Posts
Fwd40s Is God Like Fwd40s Is God Like Fwd40s Is God Like Fwd40s Is God Like Fwd40s Is God Like Fwd40s Is God Like Fwd40s Is God Like Fwd40s Is God Like Fwd40s Is God Like Fwd40s Is God Like Fwd40s Is God Like

I don't recall at all so I'm guessing it was when I was pretty young. With 4 older sisters and 1 older brothers keeping the Santa myth from being discovered was probably nearly impossible in our house.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
coug511
Flirting God

coug511 Is God Like coug511 Is God Like coug511 Is God Like coug511 Is God Like coug511 Is God Like coug511 Is God Like coug511 Is God Like coug511 Is God Like coug511 Is God Like coug511 Is God Like coug511 Is God Like

Quit, there aint no freaking quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #5
Shawn
Forum Surfer

Thanked 17,572 Times in 9,201 Posts
Shawn Is God Like Shawn Is God Like Shawn Is God Like Shawn Is God Like Shawn Is God Like Shawn Is God Like Shawn Is God Like Shawn Is God Like Shawn Is God Like Shawn Is God Like Shawn Is God Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by coug511 View Post
Quit, there aint no freaking quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Umm ... WHAT?
Old 12-16-2010, 01:49 PM   #6
Jelly
Bite Me

Thanked 9,386 Times in 5,141 Posts
Jelly Is God Like Jelly Is God Like Jelly Is God Like Jelly Is God Like Jelly Is God Like Jelly Is God Like Jelly Is God Like Jelly Is God Like Jelly Is God Like Jelly Is God Like Jelly Is God Like

My dad told me when I was 6 .. in kindergarten. I remember being so ANGRY at him for ruining Christmas for me. I recently asked him why he told me when I was so young and he said it was because he wanted it to come from him and not some mean kid at school. I get that I guess

My son has figured it out but he is pretending to believe for the sake of his mom I think .. My daughter still believes with all of her heart... but she is a dreamer like her mommy
Old 12-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #7
Chrysalis.
Flirting Guest
I Love It Here

Thanked 8,909 Times in 6,216 Posts
Chrysalis. Is God Like Chrysalis. Is God Like Chrysalis. Is God Like Chrysalis. Is God Like Chrysalis. Is God Like Chrysalis. Is God Like Chrysalis. Is God Like Chrysalis. Is God Like Chrysalis. Is God Like Chrysalis. Is God Like Chrysalis. Is God Like

When I was about 6 years old my older sister told me there was no such thing as Santa Claus...I figured she was trying to be her bitchy, I mean sweet self....I didn't believe her then and I don't believe her now.
Chrysalis. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrysalis. For This Useful Post:
gdgrl (12-16-2010), Jelly (12-16-2010), Mr_Happy (12-16-2010)
Old 12-16-2010, 01:57 PM   #8
disturbiagirl
💜PrincessHotLips💜

Thanked 8,401 Times in 5,777 Posts
disturbiagirl Is God Like disturbiagirl Is God Like disturbiagirl Is God Like disturbiagirl Is God Like disturbiagirl Is God Like disturbiagirl Is God Like disturbiagirl Is God Like disturbiagirl Is God Like disturbiagirl Is God Like disturbiagirl Is God Like disturbiagirl Is God Like

I honestly don't remember when I found out....I do remember suspecting it was my mom, but the handwriting didn't match, so that confirmed our theory that he must exist. Many years later, my mom said she (errr I mean Santa) used his left hand at Christmas....LOL

If we only have this moment, let's make it last
disturbiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:04 PM   #9
CaliGal
broken

Thanked 5,193 Times in 3,734 Posts
CaliGal Is God Like CaliGal Is God Like CaliGal Is God Like CaliGal Is God Like CaliGal Is God Like CaliGal Is God Like CaliGal Is God Like CaliGal Is God Like CaliGal Is God Like CaliGal Is God Like CaliGal Is God Like

I think I wasn't ever really TOLD that Santa wasn't real. I figured it out when I recognized my mom's writing on the gift tags. But we still put out cookies for him. I do remember a big let-down feeling though when the gifts from "santa" no longer were under the tree...

My kids believed for as long as they could. But when my 9yo came to me the other day and asked "mom, Santa isn't real... is he?", I came clean. I told her it's ok to believe in the spirit of Santa...that it's the spirit of giving. She thought a moment and then said "Yeah, you're right. You're the best mom!"
gdgrl (12-16-2010)
Old 12-16-2010, 02:08 PM   #10
TomIAm
Has the fun started yet?

Thanked 16,739 Times in 9,656 Posts
TomIAm Is God Like TomIAm Is God Like TomIAm Is God Like TomIAm Is God Like TomIAm Is God Like TomIAm Is God Like TomIAm Is God Like TomIAm Is God Like TomIAm Is God Like TomIAm Is God Like TomIAm Is God Like

My oldest daughter, at age 3, began questionning the idea that reindeer could fly. We navigated around that with relative ease. At age 4, the questions became more like statements...we BARELY survived Christmas at age 4 with her. That spring, when it was time for the Easter Bunny, she figured it all out and we didn't interfere with the process. We had made a decision not to blatantly lie about this to them. We'd be vague, we'd change the subject, but once they figured it out that was it. Her best friend (they are in 5th grade now) still believes apparently..and my daughter has never spilled the beans. I think I was 9 when I found out. I don't recall being devastated, particularly when I learned that the presents were still coming. I'm very bottom line that way. Keep the gifts coming - I don't give a shit who brings 'em as long as they get here.
Ally (12-16-2010)
Old 12-16-2010, 02:09 PM   #11
Raina
Disturbingly Hot!

Thanked 2,847 Times in 1,751 Posts
Raina Is God Like Raina Is God Like Raina Is God Like Raina Is God Like Raina Is God Like Raina Is God Like Raina Is God Like Raina Is God Like Raina Is God Like Raina Is God Like Raina Is God Like

I suspected when I was 8 that things were not all as they seemed in tooth fairy easter bunny santa claus land. However the real clincher came a year later when I was looking through my mom's jewelry box only to find a secret compartment that held ALL my baby teeth OMG I kid you not. I think I was more disturbed by the fact that she kept the damn things to be bothered by the whole santa claus fairy tale farce. She STILL has them...yes it is creepy...

My oldest is 7 and still believes which amazes me because she is not the whole fantasy, fairy tale type person. She is usually way more based in reality than that I thought for sure she would have called me out by now...and I am not exactly ms stealth either. She already knows all the santas we see around here are not real and she seems more excited for her siblings than herself this year. I honestly think she just likes the idea and I dont blame her.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:12 PM   #12
Marley075
Bullet Dodger

Thanked 2,397 Times in 1,624 Posts
Marley075 Is God Like Marley075 Is God Like Marley075 Is God Like Marley075 Is God Like Marley075 Is God Like Marley075 Is God Like Marley075 Is God Like Marley075 Is God Like Marley075 Is God Like Marley075 Is God Like Marley075 Is God Like

My 8 year has been asking questions....he's holding out hope it's still true, I think. We will have to have the talk soon enough that if he knows the truth, he can't let his younger siblings know.

I think I was 8 or so. I helped my mom wrap Christmas gifts and then found gifts from Santa in the same wrapping paper. The jig was pretty much after that.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:15 PM   #13
Madmonk2010
~live like your dying~

Madmonk2010 Is God Like Madmonk2010 Is God Like Madmonk2010 Is God Like Madmonk2010 Is God Like Madmonk2010 Is God Like Madmonk2010 Is God Like Madmonk2010 Is God Like Madmonk2010 Is God Like Madmonk2010 Is God Like Madmonk2010 Is God Like Madmonk2010 Is God Like

i thought this was a thread about love. I still believe in Santa
DomesticDiva (12-16-2010), Gigglez (12-16-2010)
Old 12-16-2010, 02:24 PM   #14
redcat
Forum Leader

Thanked 13,230 Times in 8,407 Posts
redcat Is God Like redcat Is God Like redcat Is God Like redcat Is God Like redcat Is God Like redcat Is God Like redcat Is God Like redcat Is God Like redcat Is God Like redcat Is God Like redcat Is God Like

I want to thank each and every one of you for spoiling Christmas for me!! Hmmmph..telling me there is no Santa Claus!!!
redcat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to redcat For This Useful Post:
CaliGal (12-16-2010), DomesticDiva (12-16-2010), Gigglez (12-16-2010), NYYlvr (12-16-2010), Shawn (12-16-2010)
Old 12-16-2010, 02:34 PM   #15
gdgrl
Follow me

Thanked 9,367 Times in 5,445 Posts
gdgrl Is God Like gdgrl Is God Like gdgrl Is God Like gdgrl Is God Like gdgrl Is God Like gdgrl Is God Like gdgrl Is God Like gdgrl Is God Like gdgrl Is God Like gdgrl Is God Like gdgrl Is God Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcat View Post
I want to thank each and every one of you for spoiling Christmas for me!! Hmmmph..telling me there is no Santa Claus!!!
Red, just look down, I think Santa is on your ummmm......
Old 12-16-2010, 02:43 PM   #16
redcat
Forum Leader

Thanked 13,230 Times in 8,407 Posts
redcat Is God Like redcat Is God Like redcat Is God Like redcat Is God Like redcat Is God Like redcat Is God Like redcat Is God Like redcat Is God Like redcat Is God Like redcat Is God Like redcat Is God Like

Since I joined this site I don't recall getting any presents from Santa. Logic would say that I had been a naughty girl. But, you're right, g...I knew I just had to be on his "good" list.
redcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:47 PM   #17
NYYlvr
First Due

Thanked 1,863 Times in 1,481 Posts
NYYlvr Is God Like NYYlvr Is God Like NYYlvr Is God Like NYYlvr Is God Like NYYlvr Is God Like NYYlvr Is God Like NYYlvr Is God Like NYYlvr Is God Like NYYlvr Is God Like NYYlvr Is God Like NYYlvr Is God Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcat View Post

OMG!!!! there is no Santa Clause? I dont believe any of this talk of no Santa.

Im devastated now, Thanks Shawn
NYYlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:55 PM   #18
Brink
"Man of few words"

Thanked 1,846 Times in 1,107 Posts
Brink Is God Like Brink Is God Like Brink Is God Like Brink Is God Like Brink Is God Like Brink Is God Like Brink Is God Like Brink Is God Like Brink Is God Like Brink Is God Like Brink Is God Like

I had long questioned the concept - I'd ask adults how Father Christmas had the time to visit every single house, why nobody had a picture of him yet, whether he was allowed into Middle East airspace, etc, and I'd compare the answers. There were inconsistencies, vague inaccuracies - I knew.

Then I turned 7 and my Dad wanted to take my stocking away. He was taking my Sister's stocking away because he was spending the money on a TV for our play room. This was pretty cool - and yet grossly unfair - as she was a few years older than me - so had been spoilt for longer - that was my first thought. I complained...nearly got the TV cancelled.

But then I struck on a much more significant and emotionally devastating thought! My Dad, from nowhere, was openly robbing me of my Santa dreams...It's so crushing when it comes so coldly and directly from your Dad! So I tried that angle, it almost worked on my Nana...She gave me an extra apple!

Last edited by Brink; 12-16-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:12 PM   #19
CupidsSidekick
Wishing more than Wanting

CupidsSidekick Is God Like CupidsSidekick Is God Like CupidsSidekick Is God Like CupidsSidekick Is God Like CupidsSidekick Is God Like CupidsSidekick Is God Like CupidsSidekick Is God Like CupidsSidekick Is God Like CupidsSidekick Is God Like CupidsSidekick Is God Like CupidsSidekick Is God Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Ok ... so I am listening to a local radio station and they were talking about Santa, childhood memories and the inevitable discovery that we all were duped for a period of time by our families.

Do you recall the time you found out ... maybe the time your kids found out?

I recall doing a late night stake out hiding behind a couch so I could finally let Santa have it for stiffing me when I was 6 .... only to my horror of seeing a well intoxicated father pulling out gift after gift from the "forbidden closet" .... I pretended not to know ... but it was like seeing my superhero die.

My son who is not yet 4 .. obviously still believes and my older friends tell me to live every moment while he does as it is precious ... the station hd this site http://www.portablenorthpole.tv/home which is pretty cool if you are lucky enough to have kids that still believe... I just did it and can not wait to see him watch.

I just went an filled out the info for this. Not only was it cute, it brought tears to my eyes. Thank You for posting this. I just hope someone brings a freaking Buzz Lightyear to my house!
Old 12-16-2010, 03:24 PM   #20
Sneaky
Flirting Guest
I Love It Here

Thanked 11,466 Times in 7,237 Posts
Sneaky Is God Like Sneaky Is God Like Sneaky Is God Like Sneaky Is God Like Sneaky Is God Like Sneaky Is God Like Sneaky Is God Like Sneaky Is God Like Sneaky Is God Like Sneaky Is God Like Sneaky Is God Like

LOL. Funny story....

Um, yeah...I THINK Little Sneaky was about eight and a half. I heard from some kids at school that there was no Santa and....even at that age I got into a spirited debate with, what I THOUGHT was MASSIVE proof of the existance of Santa (I can't remember what I thought I had as PROOF now). I went home & told my parents about it and later in the week they told me over dinner together that THEY were Santa and he exists in all our hearts. I think they didn't want me out there looking like an idiot to the other kids.

Yeah....there was ALOT of drama following that. You'd have thought they told me there was no God. I was piiiiiiiissssed at being lied to and I WANTED to believe in him so much.

My stepson figured it out on his own a seven and it was pretty uneventful. We didn't argue with him and just explained he needed to not ruin his little sister's beliefs in Santa until they were ready.
Sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:31 PM   #21
Gigglez
~ * ~

Thanked 5,801 Times in 3,672 Posts
Gigglez Is God Like Gigglez Is God Like Gigglez Is God Like Gigglez Is God Like Gigglez Is God Like Gigglez Is God Like Gigglez Is God Like Gigglez Is God Like Gigglez Is God Like Gigglez Is God Like Gigglez Is God Like

Excuse me .... I still believe in Santa cause he DOES exist and he even leaves presents for me at my mommy and daddy's house .... Thank you very much *hmmmppphhh*
Gigglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:03 PM   #22
Ally
Soloist extraordinaire

Thanked 6,670 Times in 4,393 Posts
Ally Is God Like Ally Is God Like Ally Is God Like Ally Is God Like Ally Is God Like Ally Is God Like Ally Is God Like Ally Is God Like Ally Is God Like Ally Is God Like Ally Is God Like

I went into a little bit of a denial phase when I found out that Santa wasn't real. I don't really remember HOW I found out. I must have blocked it from my memory. But I do remember that I was disappointed and thought Christmas would be a lot less fun if he wasn't real so I pretended I believed that year. I even wrapped up one of my own toys and put it under the tree "from Santa".

My daughter is 5 and has TONS of questions about Santa. She's not questioning because she doesn't believe but she's just really curious about how it all works. She keeps me on my toes in the creativity department, that's for sure.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:05 PM   #23
Parliament
Flirting God

Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,990 Posts
Parliament Is God Like Parliament Is God Like Parliament Is God Like Parliament Is God Like Parliament Is God Like Parliament Is God Like Parliament Is God Like Parliament Is God Like Parliament Is God Like Parliament Is God Like Parliament Is God Like

I recall at about age 4-5 asking my dad how big the Easter Bunny was. He put his hand on his head and said "about this tall." I remember feeling a little betrayed, like it was kindof a cruel joke. I think I figured out the Santa Claus lie the following christmas.

We never told our kids that Santa was real. We took some criticism from friends and family, but it just didn't seem right. It would be kindof like telling someone online that you "loved" them, just to fulfill a short term fantasy, only to hurt them in the end.

Merry Christmas!
Parliament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:06 PM   #24
rocky52
Easy Rider

rocky52 Is God Like rocky52 Is God Like rocky52 Is God Like rocky52 Is God Like rocky52 Is God Like rocky52 Is God Like rocky52 Is God Like rocky52 Is God Like rocky52 Is God Like rocky52 Is God Like rocky52 Is God Like

About 2 minutes ago when I read this post.......DAM IT!!!!!
Old 12-16-2010, 04:11 PM   #25
daisyduck
***Beautiful disaster ***

Thanked 6,002 Times in 4,789 Posts
daisyduck Is God Like daisyduck Is God Like daisyduck Is God Like daisyduck Is God Like daisyduck Is God Like daisyduck Is God Like daisyduck Is God Like daisyduck Is God Like daisyduck Is God Like daisyduck Is God Like daisyduck Is God Like

when i was ten and my big brother told me about him and the easter bunny i was heartbroken!! he is still mean to me till this very day!!! grrr i have a 3 year old and newborn so big believers in my house, cant wait to see the look on his face come christmas!!